Flux in Moderator vs Flux in fuel

In summary, flux in a moderator and fuel refers to the number of neutrons per unit area per unit time. The flux in the moderator is responsible for slowing down the fast neutrons produced by the fuel in a nuclear reactor. This flux directly affects the reactor's power output and distribution. A higher flux in the moderator leads to a higher power output, while a lower flux results in a lower power output. Similarly, the flux in the fuel determines where fission reactions occur, affecting the power distribution in the reactor. Various factors such as reactor design, fuel type and amount, reactor geometry, moderator materials, coolant flow, temperature, and pressure can influence the flux in the moderator and fuel. Control rods and other mechanisms can also be used to
sandon
I was reading about different flux shapes, and it depicted the the shape of the fission neutron spectrum to be in the shape of y=e^-x*sinh(sqrt(x)), where y is the spectrum and x is the energy in MeV.

note: put that equation into wolfram for easy visualization

Then it depicted the slowing down of neutrons neutron flux to be proportional to 1/E

Finally it gave the neutron spectrum of thermal neutron to be proportional to
(E*exp(-E/kt))/T^(3/2)

See attached image for full neutron spectrum

My question is how does the shape of the neutron flux in the moderator differ from the shape of the neutron flux in the fuel.

My first thoughts were neutron flux in the fuel is the full spectrum of the attached image, and the flux in the moderator does not contain as much of the fission spectrum. I can't see any other differences, but the question wants a clear indication of difference between the fuel spectrum and moderator spectrum, both dependent on energy.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 524
Engineering news on Phys.org
The fast flux is typically about 3x thermal flux in a thermal reactor.

The fission neutrons are produced with a spectrum. About 8 to 10% of fissions in a thermal reactor occur due to fast fissions of U-238.

The thermal flux in the fuel falls off radially into the fuel due to self-shielding, i.e., the fissions and reasonance absorptions diminish the neutron flux penetrates the fuel.

I will try to find a reference on the neutron spectum in an LWR.

Ref: http://meetingsandconferences.com/physor2012/Workshops/9.SFR-physics.pdf (third page)

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

As an internet forum user, I am not an expert in this field, but I can offer some insights based on my understanding. From the attached image, it seems that the neutron flux in the moderator is lower compared to the fuel, especially in the high energy range. This could be due to the fact that the moderator is designed to slow down the neutrons, thus reducing their energy and making them more efficient for fission reactions. This means that the moderator will have a higher proportion of thermal neutrons compared to the fuel, which has a wider range of neutron energies.

Another difference could be in the shape of the curves themselves. The moderator spectrum seems to have a smoother curve compared to the fuel spectrum, which has a more sharp peak. This could be due to the fact that the moderator is designed to spread out the neutron flux, making it more uniform and reducing the likelihood of hot spots or uneven reactions. On the other hand, the fuel spectrum needs to be more concentrated in order to sustain a chain reaction, hence the sharper peak.

In summary, the main differences between the neutron flux in the moderator and fuel seem to be in the overall intensity and shape of the spectrum, with the moderator having a lower intensity and smoother curve compared to the fuel. This is due to the different roles they play in the nuclear reaction process.

What is flux in a moderator?

Flux in a moderator refers to the number of neutrons per unit area per unit time that are passing through the moderator material. In a nuclear reactor, the moderator is responsible for slowing down the fast neutrons produced by the fuel.

What is flux in fuel?

Flux in fuel refers to the number of neutrons per unit area per unit time that are present in the fuel material in a nuclear reactor. This flux is directly related to the rate of fission reactions occurring in the fuel.

How does flux in moderator affect the reactor's power output?

The flux in the moderator directly impacts the reactor's power output. A higher flux in the moderator means more neutrons are being slowed down and available to cause fission reactions in the fuel, resulting in a higher power output. Conversely, a lower flux in the moderator will result in a lower power output.

How does flux in fuel affect the reactor's power distribution?

The flux in the fuel affects the power distribution in the reactor by determining where fission reactions are occurring. Higher flux in the fuel will result in more fission reactions and thus, a higher power output in that region of the reactor. This can lead to uneven power distribution if the fuel flux is not carefully controlled.

What factors can influence the flux in moderator and fuel?

The flux in moderator and fuel can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the reactor's design, the type and amount of fuel used, the geometry of the reactor, and the materials used for the moderator. The flow of coolant, temperature, and pressure can also impact the flux in both the moderator and fuel. Additionally, control rods and other control mechanisms can be used to adjust the flux in specific areas of the reactor.