Energy Department grants $226m to NuScale Power

In summary, the Energy Department is giving a small company in Oregon $226 million to advance the design of tiny nuclear reactors that would be installed under water, making meltdown far less likely and opening the door to markets around the world where the reactors now on the market are too big for local power grids.
Energy Department to Give $226 Million to Support Nuclear Reactor Design
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/13/b...lion-to-new-nuclear-reactor-design.html?_r=1&

WASHINGTON — The Energy Department will give a small company in Corvallis, Ore., up to $226 million to advance the design of tiny nuclear reactors that would be installed under water, making meltdown far less likely and opening the door to markets around the world where the reactors now on the market are too big for local power grids.

The company, NuScale Power, has made substantial progress in developing “an invented-in-America, made-in-America product that will export U.S. safety standards around the world,” Peter B. Lyons, the assistant secretary for nuclear energy, said in an interview. For supplying electricity without global warming gases and for providing the United States with a new export product, the reactor had “immense global and national importance,” he said.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I found this slide show, has some legible cartoons of various SMRs.

http://www.iaea.org/INPRO/3rd_Dialogue_Forum/26.Ingersoll_SMR-SafetyCase.pdf

I'm not sure why these integral reactors insist on being PWRs, seems like it would be simpler to make a small BWR than to pack a steam gen and pressurizer into the RV.

gmax137 said:
I'm not sure why these integral reactors insist on being PWRs, seems like it would be simpler to make a small BWR than to pack a steam gen and pressurizer into the RV.
The water in a BWR is contaminated, I'm sure it has something to do with that. BWR also has lower operating efficiency than a PWR

caldweab said:
The water in a BWR is contaminated, I'm sure it has something to do with that. BWR also has lower operating efficiency than a PWR
Primary water in any LWR is contaminated with tramp uranium, particularly if a fuel rod becomes breached, but mainly from corrosion products which settle on the fuel during operation and become activated. BWRs are not necessarily less [thermodynamically] efficient than PWRs. Efficiency is unit specific, with some units more efficient than others. The design of the steam turbine blades and seals can significantly affect plant efficiency, and improvements in turbine efficiency have added between 1 and 2% to the net efficiency of some plants.

One issue for SMR designers is the control elements and external hardware, i.e., control rod drive mechanisms. Traditionally, BWR control elements are hydraulically inserted from below the core, which means the drive mechanisms are external to the RV. The upper structure has liquid/vapor separators and steam dryers. PWR control rod drives sit above the RV and the control elements are inserted by gravity.

Also, certain organizations may have expertise in PWR fuel/core designs rather than traditional BWR designs. BWR fuel must be channeled.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Primary water in any LWR is contaminated with tramp uranium, particularly if a fuel rod becomes breached, but mainly from corrosion products which settle on the fuel during operation and become activated. BWRs are not necessarily less [thermodynamically] efficient than PWRs. Efficiency is unit specific, with some units more efficient than others. The design of the steam turbine blades and seals can significantly affect plant efficiency, and improvements in turbine efficiency have added between 1 and 2% to the net efficiency of some plants.

One issue for SMR designers is the control elements and external hardware, i.e., control rod drive mechanisms. Traditionally, BWR control elements are hydraulically inserted from below the core, which means the drive mechanisms are external to the RV. The upper structure has liquid/vapor separators and steam dryers. PWR control rod drives sit above the RV and the control elements are inserted by gravity.

Also, certain organizations may have expertise in PWR fuel/core designs rather than traditional BWR designs. BWR fuel must be channeled.
If the NRC would magically allow for any small (modular) reactor would you push for a gas, molton salt, liquid metal reactor or which type if any? Also does modular imply small?

middlephysics said:
If the NRC would magically allow for any small (modular) reactor would you push for a gas, molton salt, liquid metal reactor or which type if any? Also does modular imply small?

In answer to your second question: No.

I believe "modular", in this case, implies something prefabricated, and easily transported.

"small" implies small.

bolding mine

Astro will have to answer your first question, as it involves magic.

Likes 1 person
Astronuc said:
I know the water in the primary loop of a PWR is contaminated but a BWR only has one circuit and therefore that radioactive water or steam contaminates the turbine and other parts of the reactor system. I forgot about the control mechanisms part of it.

gmax137 said:

Thanks for that reference.

It seems to me the SMR cost containment is heavily dependent on the NRC's policy on security measures. That is, if the current requirements for redundant security infrastructure, the near SWAT team security personnel, the population evacuation plans, etc that apply to the large plants are also levied as-is on SMR then SMR is dead on arrival. It appears SMR advocates make a sound case that the design is more robust and the chance of various accidents are reduced in comparison to large light water PWRs, but I don't see how that helps SMR in the event of a malicious attack.

mheslep said:
Thanks for that reference.

It seems to me the SMR cost containment is heavily dependent on the NRC's policy on security measures. That is, if the current requirements for redundant security infrastructure, the near SWAT team security personnel, the population evacuation plans, etc that apply to the large plants are also levied as-is on SMR then SMR is dead on arrival. It appears SMR advocates make a sound case that the design is more robust and the chance of various accidents are reduced in comparison to large light water PWRs, but I don't see how that helps SMR in the event of a malicious attack.

Smaller reactors have much lower source term. The potential for large scale release is not as much of an issue. E.g. university research reactors don't require the same level of security. These would be of an intermediate size.

That being said I think if they are going to make a SMR it should be a physically meltdown proof, power excursion-proof design.

QuantumPion said:
Smaller reactors have much lower source term. The potential for large scale release is not as much of an issue. E.g. university research reactors don't require the same level of security. These would be of an intermediate size.
Source term? The SMR is smaller, I think that means a large intentional release would impact, say, a country sized area as opposed ten of them? Any idea what's happened to university reactors since 911? I know there are far fewer than twenty years ago, but they might be do to the lack of new plant construction in the US.

I'm pursuing the security issue because the concept of SMRs, if it is to scale up, entails thousands of tens of thousands of SMRs around the US and new concept of their use. They can't then all be cited in remote, population sparse locations. That distribution would require a greater focus on either i) security, or ii) a very benign design.

QuantumPion said:
That being said I think if they are going to make a SMR it should be a physically meltdown proof, power excursion-proof design.
Agreed.

mheslep said:
Source term? The SMR is smaller, I think that means a large intentional release would impact, say, a country sized area as opposed ten of them?

No. Even Chernobyl, a very large, high burnup reactor, in the absolute worst case scenario with actual core debris scattered throughout the environment, only seriously affected the immediate area of Pripyat.

QuantumPion said:
No. Even Chernobyl, a very large, high burnup reactor, in the absolute worst case scenario with actual core debris scattered throughout the environment, only seriously affected the immediate area of Pripyat.

Arg, yes, I know. I meant to say county-sized not country.

QuantumPion said:
Chernobyl, a very large, high burnup reactor

Chernobyl's fuel, by todays standards, wasn't high burn-up. IIRC it was below 20 GWd/tU.

1. What is the purpose of the Energy Department grants to NuScale Power?

The Energy Department grants totaling $226 million are intended to support the development and commercialization of small modular nuclear reactors, specifically those designed by NuScale Power. These grants are part of the DOE's efforts to promote clean energy and reduce carbon emissions.

2. How will NuScale Power use the grant money?

NuScale Power will use the grant money to continue the development and testing of their small modular nuclear reactor technology. This includes completing the design certification process with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and building the first commercial-scale reactor in Idaho.

3. What are the benefits of small modular nuclear reactors?

Small modular nuclear reactors have several potential benefits, including increased safety, lower costs, and more flexibility in deployment. These reactors are smaller and more compact than traditional nuclear reactors, making them easier to build and transport. They also have passive safety features that can shut down the reactor in the event of an emergency.

4. How will small modular nuclear reactors impact the energy industry?

The development and deployment of small modular nuclear reactors could have a significant impact on the energy industry. These reactors have the potential to provide clean, reliable, and affordable energy to communities and industries, reducing reliance on fossil fuels. They could also help meet the growing energy demand in developing countries.

5. Are there any concerns or risks associated with small modular nuclear reactors?

As with any new technology, there are some concerns and risks associated with small modular nuclear reactors. These include potential safety risks, waste management issues, and the high upfront costs of building and deploying these reactors. However, these concerns are being addressed through rigorous testing and regulation, and the benefits of this technology may outweigh the risks.