A commonly available material exhibiting reasonable expansion/contract

• Thread starter OtherRealm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation is discussing the search for a commonly available, non-toxic material that can expand and contract in size when electricity is applied. The goal is to find a material that is flexible and can be used for a robotics project at a reasonable cost. Possible options mentioned include using piezo-crystals, imbedding dipoles in rubber, and using ferrofluids. However, these options may not be easily accessible and may require further development. The speaker also mentions a recently published paper on using twisted nylon fishing line, but has been unable to replicate the results. The conversation ends with the suggestion of constructing a device using piezo-electric devices, magnets, a plastic tube, and a rubber band.
OtherRealm
I am looking for a commonly available, non toxic material (i.e. on the market today for a relatively low price) that exhibits reasonable expansion and contraction in size when electricity is applied. This could be a gas, liquid, easily workable solid but ideally it would be a fabric or flexible rubber/plastic. I know there are jury-rigged (i.e., not currently on the market and requiring further development) ways of doing this using heat, I just was wondering if there is anything currently out there that would get the job done and ideally uses electricity directly and not through thermal expansion . Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Define reasonable? I'm guessing piezo-crystals are not?
What is it for?

i.e. imbedding dipoles in a block of rubber would make it stretch in an applied electric field.
Ferrofluids can be made to deform significantly in magnetic fields - which you can make with electricity.
The amount of stretching depends on the elasticity of the material - which would be an engineering problem.

For commercially available materials - try "artificial muscle" or "electroactive polymer".

I am working on a robotics idea I had, and I would like to keep the cost within reason
I haven’t found anything that is commonly used (and therefore, I am assuming this implies there is nothing commonly available). I have found a recently published paper in Science (February) on using twisted nylon fishing line but so far I have been unable to duplicate their results using what I had lying around. I ordered some other thread that I’m going to try, but I didn’t want to go through a lot of effort if there is something already readily available.

I don't think there is anything you can just go down to the store and buy - except piezo-electric devices - you'd have to construct it out of other materials.
i.e. two small magnets, a plastic tube, and a rubber band - a solenoid at each end.

One commonly available material that exhibits reasonable expansion and contraction when electricity is applied is shape memory alloys (SMAs). These alloys have the ability to "remember" their original shape and return to it when a certain stimulus, such as electricity, is applied. This makes them ideal for use in applications such as actuators, sensors, and medical devices.

Another option could be electroactive polymers (EAPs), which can change shape or size when an electric field is applied. They are lightweight, flexible, and can be easily manufactured into different shapes, making them suitable for use in fabrics or flexible materials.

Both SMAs and EAPs are commercially available and relatively low-cost, making them viable options for your desired application. However, it is important to note that further research and development may be needed to optimize their performance and ensure their safety for use in consumer products.

1. What is thermal expansion and contraction?

Thermal expansion and contraction is the tendency of a material to expand or contract in response to changes in temperature. This phenomenon occurs because as temperature increases, the particles in a material vibrate more and take up more space, causing the material to expand. As temperature decreases, the particles vibrate less and the material contracts.

2. What is a commonly available material that exhibits thermal expansion and contraction?

One commonly available material that exhibits thermal expansion and contraction is metal. When heated, metal expands and when cooled, it contracts. This can be seen in everyday objects such as metal bridges, which expand in hot weather and contract in cold weather.

3. How does thermal expansion and contraction affect everyday objects?

Thermal expansion and contraction can affect everyday objects in various ways. For example, it can cause cracks or warping in materials, which can lead to structural damage. It can also affect the accuracy of measurements in instruments and machinery, as well as the fit of parts in objects that are assembled together.

4. Can thermal expansion and contraction be controlled or prevented?

Thermal expansion and contraction can be controlled or prevented through the use of materials that have low coefficients of thermal expansion, such as rubber or certain plastics. Additionally, proper insulation can help to minimize the effects of temperature changes on materials.

5. How is thermal expansion and contraction measured?

Thermal expansion and contraction can be measured by calculating the coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) of a material. This is the amount of expansion or contraction that occurs per unit of temperature change. The CTE can be determined through experiments using specialized equipment, such as a dilatometer or thermomechanical analyzer, which measure the dimensional changes of a material as it is heated or cooled.