Is there a limit to post length in online forums?

• Thread starter kyrill
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of post length and whether or not it is allowed to post lengthy explanations. The forum does not have a limit on post length, but it is advised to consider the number of interested readers. It is suggested to put detailed explanations in a separate file and provide a link for interested parties to refer to. The conversation also mentions that the forum does not allow personal ideas or theories to be discussed.
kyrill
My first post
If I need/like your opinions on an (complex?) idea which at its shortest needs a third of an A4 'paper' to explain, is it allowed to do so?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no limit for post lengths (apart from a technical one, I think 100 000 letters). Writing very long posts can reduce the number of interested readers, however.

Likes gracy
kyrill said:
My first post
If I need/like your opinions on an (complex?) idea which at its shortest needs a third of an A4 'paper' to explain, is it allowed to do so?

We haven't had any issues yet regarding the length of a post. However, and I will apologize right off the bat for invoking this if this doesn't apply to you, the most common situation where someone posts very lengthy prose about something, it is often to discuss one's personal ideas or theory. Now THAT, we do not allow, per the PF Rules that you had agreed to.

If this isn't what you intend to do, then ignore that last part. However, if it is, consider this to be a heads up.

Zz.

Rather than bunging up the forum with a long post, why don't you put your detailed explanation in a separate file, like a .pdf, and link it to your post. Any persons interested in studying it can refer to the link.

1. How long should a post be for optimal engagement?

In general, shorter posts tend to receive more engagement than longer ones. According to research, posts with 250-300 characters tend to perform the best, but it ultimately depends on your target audience and the platform you are using.

2. Is there a character limit for posts on social media?

Yes, most social media platforms have a character limit for posts. For example, Twitter has a limit of 280 characters, Instagram has a limit of 2,200 characters, and Facebook has a limit of 63,206 characters. It's important to check the specific platform's guidelines for maximum character limits.

3. Does the length of a post affect its ranking on search engines?

While there is no direct correlation between the length of a post and its ranking on search engines, longer posts tend to have more opportunity for keywords and relevant information, which can improve its chances of ranking higher.

4. How long should a blog post be for SEO purposes?

There is no specific length required for SEO purposes, but longer blog posts (around 1,500-2,000 words) tend to perform better in terms of search engine rankings. However, the most important factor for SEO is quality and relevance of content, not just length.

5. Is there a recommended length for academic or scientific posts?

The length of an academic or scientific post can vary greatly depending on the topic, research, and target audience. However, it is generally recommended to keep the post concise and focused, with a word count of around 500-1,500 words.