The astounding-sounding expounding surrounding cuttlefish

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, the cuttlefish have an interesting set of features, some of which are not found in other invertebrates. They are mostly salt water animals, but can change colour to camouflage themselves. They have large eyes and eight legs, and can move easily thanks to one fin. They are known to have ink and to have a high level of latent inhibition, which helps them evade predators.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I usually don't get so excited about cephalopods, but these cuttlefish are something special. I saw them on a show last night and think they have one of the most interesting set of features I've ever seen in a single organism. I'm trying to collect a list of all of their features here, so please tell me anything you know about them. When the list is done, I'm taking it to the engineering forum for a watchmaker challenge.
Here are some things I have so far; They're mostly from memory, so please correct them or expand on any feature I mention if you have more details.

Internal calcium carbonate shell (with buoyancy chambers?)
Large eyes
Eight legs
Two liquid-filled tentacles with suckers; inflated very quickly to catch prey
Can change their skin color as camouflage from predators, to disorient prey, and communicate with each other.
One fin extending around their body allows them to move up/down, front/back, side/side easily.
Have ink (for evading predators?)

I know there's more, just can't recall now...

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Are they high on latent inhibition?

hitssquad said:
Are they high on latent inhibition?
I don't know; I haven't read about it yet. I stopped to figure out what being loaded meant and got distracted.

honestrosewater said:
I usually don't get so excited about cephalopods

Why on Earth not? Cephalopods are by far the best invertebrates in my oppinion :biggrin:
Pacific reef squid can also change colour almost instantly. It is believed that it is used as a form of communication by them.

Okay, maybe I'm on my own on this one. But if anyone's interested in this kind of stuff, I think cuttlefish are worth checking out. :smile:

Aren't cuttlefish strictly salt water animals?

~Kitty

I did a 1st grade report on cuttlefish :rolleyes:

Aw rats, I had a bookmark for an excellent cephalopod website and it's on my old laptop. :grumpy:

This is an excellent site HRW, this has just about everything you'd ever want to know as well as links to other ceph sites.

http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Aw rats, I had a bookmark for an excellent cephalopod website and it's on my old laptop. :grumpy:

This is an excellent site HRW, this has just about everything you'd ever want to know as well as links to other ceph sites.

http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/
Woohoo! Thanks, I'll check it out. I hadn't been able to find any decent sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought that the discoverychannel.cm or wikipedia.com would have had some information about the cuttlefish. Did you check those sites?

~Kitty

misskitty said:
I would have thought that the discoverychannel.cm or wikipedia.com would have had some information about the cuttlefish. Did you check those sites?

~Kitty
Yeah, wiki had basically the same info as the show, and discovery didn't have anything. I'm not finished searching though; I've just been busy, and this near the end of my list.

1. What is the significance of the cuttlefish in scientific research?

The cuttlefish is a unique and fascinating creature that has captured the attention of scientists for decades. They possess incredible abilities such as color-changing camouflage, jet propulsion, and complex communication skills. As a result, cuttlefish are often studied to better understand various biological and behavioral processes, as well as to inform advancements in technology.

2. How does the cuttlefish use its color-changing abilities?

The cuttlefish has specialized cells called chromatophores that allow it to change color and pattern in a matter of seconds. This is used for communication, camouflage, and to startle predators. The cuttlefish can also mimic the colors and patterns of its surroundings, making it a master of disguise.

3. What are some interesting facts about the cuttlefish?

Cuttlefish are cephalopods, meaning they are in the same family as octopuses and squid. They have three hearts and blue-green blood due to the presence of copper instead of iron in their hemoglobin. They are also able to see polarized light, giving them an advantage in detecting prey and predators.

4. How do cuttlefish communicate with each other?

Cuttlefish have a complex system of visual and tactile communication. They can change color and patterns to display aggression, courtship, and other social behaviors. They also use their tentacles to send and receive signals through touch.

5. What threats do cuttlefish face in their natural habitat?

Cuttlefish are preyed upon by a variety of predators such as sharks, fish, and other cephalopods. They are also threatened by human activities such as overfishing and pollution, which can disrupt their habitats and food sources. Climate change also poses a threat to cuttlefish populations as it alters ocean temperatures and acidity levels.