Mirror Reflection: Left-Right Exchange Explained

In summary, a mirror reflection only exchanges the notion of left-right and front-back, but not up-down. This is because the mirror only reflects the image as it appears in front of it, without any rotation or flipping. Therefore, when standing in front of a mirror, your left hand will appear as your left hand in the reflection, but your head will still be positioned at the top and your legs at the bottom. This is why when using a mirror to take photos, the image may appear reversed.
touqra
Why is it that a mirror reflection only exchange the notion of left-right but not up-down ? I mean if I were to stand in front of a mirror, my mirror image exchanges my left hand with the left, but not my head with my legs.

Science news on Phys.org
Actually, it does neither; it reverses front-back.

touqra said:
Why is it that a mirror reflection only exchange the notion of left-right but not up-down ? I mean if I were to stand in front of a mirror, my mirror image exchanges my left hand with the left, but not my head with my legs.

I had the same problem with my new digital camera so I reversed the scan on my monitor. Works fine now but I have to type using a mirror.

krab said:
Actually, it does neither; it reverses front-back.

I've been asked the original question many times, I kinda thought this was the answer in my mind, but never could put it so elegantly. You're my hero, krab!

1. What is a mirror reflection?

A mirror reflection is when light bounces off a smooth surface, such as a mirror, and creates a virtual image of an object that appears to be the same size and shape as the original object, but reversed from left to right.

2. Why does a mirror reflection reverse left and right?

A mirror reflection reverses left and right because light travels in a straight line and reflects off the mirror's smooth surface at the same angle that it hits. This causes the image to appear flipped horizontally.

3. How does a mirror reflection affect depth perception?

A mirror reflection does not affect depth perception because the distance between the observer and the virtual image in the mirror is the same as the distance between the observer and the actual object. However, if the observer moves to a different position, the depth perception of the image may appear to change.

4. Can a mirror reflection be manipulated?

Yes, a mirror reflection can be manipulated by changing the angle at which the light hits the mirror's surface. This can create distorted or elongated images in the reflection.

5. Are all mirror reflections the same?

No, not all mirror reflections are the same. The type of reflection can depend on the angle of incidence, the smoothness of the mirror's surface, and the material of the mirror. For example, a concave mirror may produce a different reflection than a flat mirror.