What Impact Do Our Eating Habits Have on the Environment?

• Thread starter default_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary: Perfect is imperfect?I try my best to live a life that is not destructive. Our society is shifting into a destructive one, and it's not good at all. We have to convince ourselves that we have never, as a human race, EVER been this bloody, and this sinful, and this eeeeevil — because that's the only way we feel alive: because the truth is that we have never been this bored and lazy and dull and polite. Has society ever been non-destructive?Yes, it has. But that was in the past. We have a gun problem, kids are taking guns to schools, kids spend all day doing drugs and having unprotected sex,

which of the following good causes would you choose to invest your life in?

• safer world

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • cleaner world

• better world

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • changing and dynamic world

• perfect world

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • non-evil world

• never ending world

• all of the above

• two or more of the above

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • other

• Total voters
default_
which of the following good causes would you choose to invest your life in?

investing for a :

-safer world
-cleaner world
-better world
-changing and dynamic world
-perfect world
-non-evil world
-never ending world
-all of the above
-two or more of the above
-none of the above
-other

Physics news on Phys.org
Well better probably includes safer and cleaner.

I don't think the world can be 'perfect' assuming we could find a consensus on 'perfect'.

The world/nature/universe is inherently 'changing and dynamic'. Our challenge it to adapt.

The world is never-ending. Our compatiblity with the world is what we must address.

As for a non-evil world - one can simply set a good example and 'do the right thing'.

I chose all (even though to me "perfect" would be imperfect). but if I had to chose one single cause, I would choose a just world. where everyone gets what they deserve (for better or worse). then everything else just falls into place.

moe darklight said:
I chose all (even though to me "perfect" would be imperfect). but if I had to chose one single cause, I would choose a just world. where everyone gets what they deserve (for better or worse). then everything else just falls into place.

Perfect is imperfect?

I try my best to live a life that is not destructive. Our society is shifting into a destructive one, and it's not good at all.

Has society ever been non-destructive? Is such a thing even possible for biological organisms? To me, that's the biggest fallacy in environmentalism - that such a thing could, much less should be done.

russ_watters said:
Has society ever been non-destructive? Is such a thing even possible for biological organisms?

Good question. The answer to the former is no. The answer to the other one, is, I believe, for a smaller number of organisms of higher intelligence, probably yes. But then again, it's a smaller number, and definitely not the mirror of the majority. So, the answer is, sadly, no.

JasonRox said:
Perfect is imperfect?

I mean it would be no fun if everything was as good as it gets :yuck: .

JasonRox said:
I try my best to live a life that is not destructive. Our society is shifting into a destructive one, and it's not good at all.

in my eyes, the opposite is happening... we're rotting into lethargy.

in the past, society's problems came from people doing too much of the wrong thing. now it comes from people doing to little of the right thing. everyone wants to do as little as possible.

this new thing, "political correctness" is sick. censorship, oppression, and tyranny have always existed, but at least in the past it was so aggressive and in your face that you were driven to do something about it. oppression was a sword or a guillotine, now it comes in the form of a polite little passive-aggressive smile.
it was painful, now everything is made so pleasant that no one takes notice of social degradation.

we can say that we have a gun problem, that kids are taking guns to schools, that kids spend all day doing drugs and having unprotected sex, that we have lost our values, etc. etc. ... yet murder and crime rates have gone down considerably in many north american cities (per capita). yes, even since the good ol' 50's..

... murder rates have gone down even more considerably since the 1500's! :eek: ...

so why is it that we've become so obsessed with convincing ourselves that people are becoming increasingly immoral, sadistic, and pure evil with each passing generation --- when the exact opposite is true?

I think it's because we feel empty as a society.

we have to convince ourselves that we have never, as a human race, EVER been this bloody, and this sinful, and this eeeeevil — because that's the only way we feel alive: because the truth is that we have never been this bored and lazy and dull and polite.

the good thing is that we are living in the best possible times, we are at a peak: we have never been so free, so rich, or so healthy. not ever before in human history. a relatively large percentage of today's world population lives freer, healthier, and wealthier lives than even the richest of the rich could have hoped for 300 years ago. our problem is that humans, by nature, always get greedy or sloppy and eventually ruin anything we build.

wow, that was a rant an a half :bugeye: ... I don't know where all that came form, I swear I'm not as pessimistic as I sound! :biggrin:

radou said:
The answer to the other one, is, I believe, for a smaller number of organisms of higher intelligence, probably yes. But then again, it's a smaller number, and definitely not the mirror of the majority. So, the answer is, sadly, no.
All organisms need to eat. Eating necessarily destroys that which is consumed. So all organisms at the very least have some minimum level of destruction of their environment that is proportional to their population.

That's only the most basic example, of course. There are plenty more. Plants, for example, essentially fight each other (and any other organism that gets in their way) to the death for sunlight and water, decimating the area around them.

Last edited:
radou said:
Good question. The answer to the former is no. The answer to the other one, is, I believe, for a smaller number of organisms of higher intelligence, probably yes. But then again, it's a smaller number, and definitely not the mirror of the majority. So, the answer is, sadly, no.

They've answered these questions already?

It seems like in the study of Cellular Automata (spelling?) they're bring structure out of chaotic biological behaviour. In a sense, that seems to direct us to the idea, that constructive life can exist.

russ_watters said:
All organisms need to eat. Eating necessarily destroys that which is consumed. So all organisms at the very least have some minimum level of destruction of their environment that is proportional to their population.

I meant destructive in a large sense.

Look at how much we consume! Dang! Eating habits are just horrendous. Not only our we destructive to other fellow members of our society, we are also destructive against our own very body! I mean this in a direct sense, and not the...

Well, people get older and therefore that's destructive.

That's not an counter-argument.

1. What is the definition of "living for a good cause"?

Living for a good cause refers to dedicating your life and actions towards making a positive impact on the world, whether it be through volunteering, activism, or other forms of service.

2. How can I find my purpose or a cause to live for?

Reflect on your passions and values, and research various causes and organizations that align with them. You can also try volunteering or shadowing individuals in different fields to see what resonates with you.

3. Can anyone live for a good cause, or does it require a lot of time and resources?

Anyone can live for a good cause, as it can be as simple as small acts of kindness or choosing to support ethical and sustainable practices. However, some causes may require more time and resources, but there are always ways to contribute and make a difference.

4. How do I balance living for a good cause with other responsibilities and priorities?

It is important to prioritize your own well-being and responsibilities, as you cannot effectively help others if you are not taking care of yourself first. Find a balance that works for you, and remember that every small action towards a good cause still makes a difference.

5. Is it necessary to dedicate my entire life to living for a good cause, or can I still make a difference while pursuing other goals?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Some individuals may choose to dedicate their entire lives to a certain cause, while others may balance multiple passions and goals. What matters is that you are making a positive impact in whatever way works best for you.