Why does oatmeal stop itching?

• Thread starter morgan?
  • Start date
In summary: I've never heard of that.Apparently, there is some sort of mystic power to Quaker oats that helps to cure whatever ails you. Apparently, there is some sort of mystic power to Quaker oats that helps to cure whatever ails you.
morgan?
so did anyone else take oatmeal baths when they had the chicken pox or something itchy? why does oatmeal help?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was fourteen and had chicken pox the doctors gave me a bottle of calamine lotion. I used the whole thing and felt no effect on the affected area. They didn't say anything about oatmeal, but normally aren't chemicals better than plants with illnesses?

And will somebody hit her with a fish already? She's already got one post for cryin out loud!

Mk said:
And will somebody hit her with a fish already? She's already got one post for cryin out loud!

now I'm nervous! why would you hit me with a fish?!

Hi, Morgan. The reference is that you have not yet been slapped upside the head with the traditional PF 'Welcome' fish. When I started here, we were just given a fish to chomp on. A couple of vegetarians joined, so we had to just whap them with the fish since they wouldn't eat them. You must already be in good standing, though, because apparently your fish is not frozen.

Anyhow, I suspect that the oatmeal thing works because it's an astringent.

Salmon,Cod, or Haddock?? Decisions...Decisions...

I believe that salmon is the weapon of choice most of the time, but we had to use a minnow for yomamma.

morgan? said:
so did anyone else take oatmeal baths when they had the chicken pox or something itchy? why does oatmeal help?
They say when it drys it leaves a powder film on the skin and the powder helps the itching. I've used oatmeal shampoo on my dog for a bad allergy that made her loose a lot of her fur and gave her very rough skin. The shampoo made her skin feel smooth and soft for about a week.

Oh and, try the fish, it's great.

Danger said:
I believe that salmon is the weapon of choice most of the time, but we had to use a minnow for yomamma.

I'll take your word for it...

*wacks Morgan with a Salmon*

G01 said:
I'll take your word for it...

*wacks Morgan with a Salmon*
The salmon is for two year anniversaries!

Due to inflation, I'm afraid all new members will henceforth be whacked with blocks of frozen chum. :frown:

The good news is that if they survive the initial blow, they will most likely become good members.

BTW G01, I don't remember hitting you.

<WHAM>

Now you're official. :approve:

*pelts Morgan with frozen oatmeal*

feel better?

Evo said:
The salmon is for two year anniversaries!

Due to inflation, I'm afraid all new members will henceforth be whacked with blocks of frozen chum. :frown:

The good news is that if they survive the initial blow, they will most likely become good members.

BTW G01, I don't remember hitting you.

<WHAM>

Now you're official. :approve:

AGGGGGGGGHHHHHH! I thought you would have forgotten about it by now!

:biggrin:
we need tiny fish icons to signify which members have been properly greeted.
http://image.versiontracker.com/client_icons/com.uri.Fish-icon-32x32-8bit.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
:biggrin:
we need tiny fish icons to signify which members have been properly greeted.
http://image.versiontracker.com/client_icons/com.uri.Fish-icon-32x32-8bit.gif
Ooooh,[/URL] good idea. :approve:

But it's just so much fun <WHAM> sorry G01, you were just the closest victim. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
well i must say i do feel quite welcome. :smile: although maybe a little dizzy and fishy. but not at all itchy thanks to the oatmeal! :biggrin:

Quaker blesses their oatmeal with a secret Quaker prayer which drives out all itching and cholestrol wherever their oatmeal is applied.

Ki Man said:
Quaker blesses their oatmeal with a secret Quaker prayer which drives out all itching and cholestrol wherever their oatmeal is applied.
Ah, that's must be where the the inject-oatmeal-into-your-heart treatment they're working on at Penn State comes from.

what?? cow dung works even better.

1. Why does oatmeal stop itching?

Oatmeal contains compounds known as avenanthramides, which have anti-inflammatory properties. These compounds help to reduce inflammation, which in turn, relieves itching.

2. How does oatmeal relieve itching?

Oatmeal acts as a natural moisturizer and helps to soothe dry and itchy skin. It also forms a protective layer on the skin, which helps to prevent further irritation.

3. Can oatmeal help with all types of itching?

Oatmeal is most effective for relieving itching caused by dry skin, insect bites, and rashes. It may not be as effective for itching caused by underlying medical conditions such as eczema or psoriasis.

4. Is there a specific type of oatmeal that is best for itching?

Steel-cut or whole oatmeal is the most effective for relieving itching. Instant oatmeal may not provide the same benefits as it has been processed and may contain added ingredients that could irritate the skin.

5. Are there any side effects of using oatmeal for itching?

Oatmeal is generally safe to use and has very few side effects. However, if you have a known allergy to oatmeal, you should avoid using it for itching. Also, be cautious if you have any open wounds or cuts on your skin, as oatmeal may cause irritation.