Discovery of silicon & how is it extracted commercially

In summary, silicon is a element that was discovered in the 1700s and is extracted commercially. It can also be done at home, but requires high temperatures for reduction.
EmuWizard
what lead to the discovery of silicon

&

how is it extracted commercially & how can it be done at home aswell?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Our usual rates for doing other people homework start at $100/hour. But once you will show what you did by yourself and where you get stuck, we will push you in the right direction for free.

sry for bieng so blunt & so naive :p

i got this much so far. It was only identified in 1787 by a scientist Lavoisier. However, Berzelius was the first person to isolate silicon in 1823, and thus he is credited with its discovery (web1.caryacademy.org). the thing is i can't find out why he was doing what he was doing, i can't find anyinfo on that.

& i found my info about how it is extracted commercially, apparently they take out the impurities by heeting it with coke in a blast furnace. but i need a small scale experiment too which i can't find. i can only think of mixing it with sumthing to react with the oxygen & leave wat i need behind.

I am not sure if I understand the first question, as the only answer I am aware of is "curiosity". What I mean is that chemists were trying at the time to decompose every substance into what they called "simple substances" - what we today know as elements (note: don't treat nomenclature I am using too seriously, as I am translating from Polish). Berzelius was the first one to succeed in preparing pure silicon, but I don't remember reading about any special events that lead to that discovery.

Small scale & home experiment looks unlikely to me, you need high temperatures for SiO2 reduction. Does it have to be production of Si, or something else where Si compounds are involved will do as well?

Borek said:
I am not sure if I understand the first question, as the only answer I am aware of is "curiosity". What I mean is that chemists were trying at the time to decompose every substance into what they called "simple substances" - what we today know as elements (note: don't treat nomenclature I am using too seriously, as I am translating from Polish). Berzelius was the first one to succeed in preparing pure silicon, but I don't remember reading about any special events that lead to that discovery.

Small scale & home experiment looks unlikely to me, you need high temperatures for SiO2 reduction. Does it have to be production of Si, or something else where Si compounds are involved will do as well?

lol that's good enough answer for me aswell.

& yes it has to specificcally be Silicon, as I am doing a report on it.

1. What is silicon?

Silicon is a chemical element with the symbol Si and atomic number 14. It is a hard, brittle crystalline solid with a blue-grey metallic luster and a tetravalent metalloid in the carbon group.

2. How was silicon discovered?

Silicon was first isolated and identified by Swedish chemist Jöns Jacob Berzelius in 1823. He obtained silicon by heating potassium fluorosilicate with metallic potassium in an iron tube.

3. How is silicon extracted commercially?

Silicon is extracted commercially through a process called carbothermic reduction, which involves heating silica (SiO2) with carbon (C) to produce silicon (Si) and carbon monoxide (CO).

4. What are the main uses of silicon?

Silicon is a key component in the production of semiconductors, which are used in electronic devices such as computers and smartphones. It is also used in the production of solar cells, glass, and ceramics.

5. Is silicon a renewable resource?

No, silicon is not a renewable resource. It is abundant in the Earth's crust, but it must be extracted and processed to be used commercially. However, efforts are being made to develop more sustainable methods for producing silicon, such as recycling and using renewable energy sources in the extraction process.