Micro-environment in cell nucleus

In summary: I doubt it is just sitting there waiting to be read :) The cell keeps the concentration of Na+ low and K+ high, to balance osmosis and provide countercharge.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is it known what the salt conditions are like in the nucleus? For instance, in the cytoplasm [KCl]=100mM [NaCl]=10mM.. would this be very different in the nucleus?

Which salts would be important in influencing protein/protein or protein/DNA interactions?

Biology news on Phys.org
From what I've seen, [KCl]=50 mM but it varies, also [NaCl]=100mM because the DNA-histone-complex is only stable for a certain concentration between 20 and 500 mM, and the optimum is 100 mM.

As far as the best salt for influencing the protein-protein and -DNA interactions, it will depend on the protein or DNA, the pH and the microenvironment.

100 mM NaCl? That is a lot.. How large are the nuclear pores, are ions able to pass through? Ion pumps known to exist in it? You'd think there must be a lot of cations in the nucleus to compensate for the negative charge of the DNA.

As far as the best salt for influencing the protein-protein and -DNA interactions, it will depend on the protein or DNA, the pH and the microenvironment.
That's why I ask what conditions in the nucleus are like :)

Monique said:
For instance, in the cytoplasm [KCl]=100mM [NaCl]=10mM..

I think you are underestimating [NaCl], it should be closer to 100 mM rather than 10 mM. There is also a lot of gradient within the cytoplasm and 100 mM would be an average. The concentration probably goes from 10 mM to 800 mM in the cytoplasm depending of the location. it is propably the same with the nucleus.

I am pretty sure the cell keeps the concentration of Na+ low and K+ high, to balance osmosis and provide countercharge.

Why do you think the concentration can depend so much on the location in the cytoplasm?

Have you ever heard of ion-pumps in the nuclear envelope membrane? Since it disintegrates and re-assembles during mitosis there should be some if the conditions in the nucleus are specialized. Or maybe I should go discover them myself and receive a nobel prize for it :wink: maybe it's just sitting in a textbook waiting to be read..

Monique said:
I am pretty sure the cell keeps the concentration of Na+ low and K+ high, to balance osmosis and provide countercharge.

If I am correct, it is relative to the external enviroment. The extracellular environment has [NaCl]=150 mM.

Monique said:
Why do you think the concentration can depend so much on the location in the cytoplasm?

Not all biochemicals reactions requires the same amount of salt concentration and some reaction are more sensitive to certain concentration. The intracellular space is quite fluid and ions move a lot and not necessarly in gradient dependent manner. The compartmentalization is also seen in bacteria.

Monique said:
Have you ever heard of ion-pumps in the nuclear envelope membrane?

Not as far as I remember but I will to reread my cell bio textbook

1. What is the micro-environment in a cell nucleus?

The micro-environment in a cell nucleus refers to the specific conditions and factors present within the nucleus that play a role in regulating cellular processes. This includes the physical structure of the nucleus, the presence of various molecules and organelles, and the interactions between these components.

2. How does the micro-environment in the cell nucleus affect gene expression?

The micro-environment in the cell nucleus can directly influence gene expression through the physical organization of chromatin and the availability of transcription factors and other regulatory molecules. Changes in the micro-environment can lead to alterations in gene expression and ultimately impact cellular function.

3. What role does the micro-environment in the cell nucleus play in cell division?

The micro-environment in the cell nucleus is crucial for proper cell division. It helps to ensure the accurate replication and segregation of DNA during cell division. Changes in the micro-environment can lead to errors in this process, resulting in genetic mutations and other abnormalities.

4. How do scientists study the micro-environment in the cell nucleus?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study the micro-environment in the cell nucleus. This includes imaging techniques such as fluorescence microscopy and electron microscopy, as well as molecular biology techniques like chromatin immunoprecipitation and DNA sequencing.

5. Can changes in the micro-environment in the cell nucleus lead to disease?

Yes, changes in the micro-environment in the cell nucleus can contribute to the development of various diseases. For example, alterations in chromatin structure and gene expression within the nucleus have been linked to cancer, neurological disorders, and other diseases. Understanding the micro-environment in the cell nucleus is important for identifying potential targets for disease treatment and prevention.