Water vapor at approx. 300 degrees Celsius

In summary, there is a critical temperature for vapors where they can be liquidized by applying pressure, but if the temperature is higher than the critical temperature, the vapors will become compressed instead of turning into a liquid. This can lead to confusion when using common terms in science, such as "supercritical fluid" or "liquid crystal," which do not fit into traditional definitions of solids or liquids. Water, for example, can still be a liquid at temperatures higher than 300 degrees Celsius, but it reaches its critical point at 374 degrees Celsius where it can no longer transition from vapor to liquid. This may have been what was mentioned in the conversation as "can't liquidise."
fawk3s
Ive heard that at somewhere around 300 degrees Celsius (cant remember the exact number), you can't liquidise it anymore. Is this fact correct?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Physics news on Phys.org
You can liquidise a vapour by applying a high enough pressure but only if the vapour is at a temperature lower than its "critical temperature".If the temperature is higher than the critical temperature then applying pressure results not in a liquid but in a compressed vapour.

Thats what I thought. Thanks !

Dadface said:
results not in a liquid but in a compressed vapour.

This shows up the difficulty with using common terms in science - a supercritical fluid is neither liquid nor gas. (And yet it's both at the same time).

Is a liquid crystal a solid or a liquid? - Same problem.

I'd need to check a book of steam tables but I'm pretty sure that water can still be aliquid at a lot more then 300 Deg C

Jobrag said:
I'd need to check a book of steam tables but I'm pretty sure that water can still be aliquid at a lot more then 300 Deg C

I just checked and the critical temperature of water is 374Deg C.

Ah, yes, the critical point is 374 degrees C. (The OP did say 'about' 300)
It's surprisingly low though.

I'm pretty sure what OP heard is a mention of critical point. Sounds like it. Past these 374°C, there is no phase transition from vapor to liquid, and that might come out as "can't liquidise" to someone who didn't quite get the point.

What is water vapor at approx. 300 degrees Celsius?

Water vapor at approx. 300 degrees Celsius is a gaseous form of water that is heated to approximately 300 degrees Celsius. It is a common substance found in the Earth's atmosphere and can also be produced through various industrial processes.

How is water vapor at approx. 300 degrees Celsius different from liquid water?

Water vapor at approx. 300 degrees Celsius differs from liquid water in its physical state and temperature. It is a gas, while liquid water is a liquid. Additionally, water vapor at this temperature is much hotter than liquid water, which typically exists at room temperature.

What are the properties of water vapor at approx. 300 degrees Celsius?

Water vapor at approx. 300 degrees Celsius has several properties, including its high temperature, low density, and ability to expand and occupy a larger volume. It is also invisible to the naked eye and can be easily compressed into a liquid form.

How is water vapor at approx. 300 degrees Celsius used in industrial processes?

Water vapor at approx. 300 degrees Celsius is used in various industrial processes, such as power generation, chemical synthesis, and sterilization. It is also used in heating and cooling systems and as a source of energy for turbines and engines.

What are the potential dangers of working with water vapor at approx. 300 degrees Celsius?

Working with water vapor at approx. 300 degrees Celsius can be dangerous due to its high temperature and pressure. It can cause severe burns and injuries if not handled properly. It is also important to take precautions to avoid inhaling large amounts of water vapor, as it can lead to respiratory problems.