Experiment: determine the mass of a spring

In summary, the mass of the spring is equal to the particle mass plus one third of the spring mass. The natural period of oscillations and the corresponding natural frequency is found by taking the square root of the natural period of oscillations and the corresponding natural frequency.
moonkey

Homework Statement

Find the mass of the spring, given the following apparatus:
1. a spring, attached to a stand,
2. a set of graduated 10g masses,
3. a stop-clock

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just can't really get my head around how to do it without being able to measure the displacement from equilibrium

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi moonkey! welcome to pf! :smile:

(what are "graduated 10g masses" ? :confused:)

hmm :rolleyes: … you're obviously intended to time something …

how about hanging weights on the spring and timing the bounces?

Hi tiny-tim. Thanks for the reply. using the timer I would be able to work out the period of the oscillations which would in turn allow me to work out w(omega) using the formula

T=2Pi/w

From there I know that omega squared is equal to k/M(mass of spring plus any additional mass) but I don't know k or the mass of the spring. So I'm thinking that there must be some way of either calculating k on its own or else I'm going about it all wrong.

hi moonkey! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
moonkey said:
From there I know that omega squared is equal to k/M(mass of spring plus any additional mass) but I don't know k or the mass of the spring.

(have an omega: ω and a square-root: √ :wink:)

so do it for different values of M + m, and draw a graph :wink:

Ok, just had an idea. So,

T²=4π²(m/k) and k is constant so

k=4π²m/T²

So where m is (Ms+Mn) I came up with this:

k=4π²(Ms+Mn-1)/(Tn-1)² , k=4π²(Ms+Mn)/(Tn

k=k => [STRIKE]4π²[/STRIKE](Ms+Mn-1)/(Tn-1)²=[STRIKE]4π²[/STRIKE](Ms+Mn)/(Tn

(Tn)²(Ms+Mn-1)=(Tn-1)²(Ms+Mn), which turns out to be

Ms=[(Tn-1)²Mn-(Tn)²Mn-1]/[(Tn)²-(Tn-1)²]

If I do this for a couple of different values of Mn using the 10g masses I'm given then take the average for Ms.

Does this sound like it would work? I haven't made any drastic mistakes or assumptions or anything?

When we consider the mass of the spring, the equivalent mass is equal to the particle mass plus one third of the spring mass.

Let us perform two tests, with two mass configurations.

For the mass configuration #1, you will attach a mass [tex]M_1[/tex] to the spring. For the mass configuration #2, the attached mass will be [tex]M_2[/tex].

For each mass configuration, find the natural period of oscillations and the corresponding natural frequency.

For the first mass configuration, we have:

[tex]
f_1=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \sqrt{\frac{k}{m_{eq1}}}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
m_{eq1} = M_1 + \frac{1}{3} M_{spring}
[/tex]

We don't know the stiffness and the mass of the spring. So let us perform another test with the second mass configuration:

[tex]
f_2=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \sqrt{\frac{k}{m_{eq2}}}
[/tex]

with

[tex]
m_{eq2} = M_2 + \frac{1}{3} M_{spring}
[/tex]From the natural frequencies equations, we can find:

[tex]
{f_1}^2 {m_{eq1}} = {f_2}^2 {m_{eq2}}
[/tex]

This last equation will allow us to find out the value of the mass of the spring.

Please let me know if it works :smile:

Thanks a lot JolileChat.

I'm sure that will work perfectly. That's really put me on the right track. I'll go and look it up so that I fully understand it. No point doing an experiment if I'm not fully aware of why I'm doing what I'm doing.

Thanks again

1. What is the purpose of determining the mass of a spring through an experiment?

Determining the mass of a spring through an experiment is important because it allows us to understand the physical properties and behavior of the spring. This information can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science.

2. What materials and equipment are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a spring, a ruler or measuring tape, a balance or scale, and a support stand. Optional materials may include weights and a stopwatch.

3. How do you perform the experiment to determine the mass of a spring?

First, attach the spring to a support stand and measure its length. Next, add weights to the bottom of the spring and measure its new length. Repeat this process with different weights until you have at least five data points. Use the measurements and weight values to calculate the spring constant and mass of the spring using the equation F=kx and F=mg, respectively.

4. What are some sources of error that may affect the accuracy of the experiment?

Some sources of error that may affect the accuracy of the experiment include human error in measuring and recording data, variations in the spring's stiffness, and external factors such as air resistance or slight movements of the support stand.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied in real-world situations?

The results of this experiment can be applied in real-world situations such as designing and constructing structures that use springs, calibrating scales and balances, and understanding the behavior of springs in various mechanical systems.