How to solve two coupled pde's

• Thread starter keyns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coupled
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with two coupled equations and one continuity condition. The equations involve vector fields and can be rewritten as two ODEs. The speaker is looking for a numerical solution to this problem.
keyns
I'm new, hi all.

I have two coupled equations, one of which is continuity. Basically, my problem comes down to the following system:

(1) [itex]u=f(v)[/itex] (similarly, [itex]v=g(u)[/itex]. Here, u and v are the components of a vector field, ie u=u(x,y) and v=v(x,y).

(2) Continuity: [itex]\nabla \cdot \textbf{u} = 0[/itex] or [itex]u_{x}+v_{y}=0[/itex]

From here, I can find the following expressions

[itex]u_{x} = -g_{y} \left( u \right)[/itex]
[itex]v_{y} = -f_{x} \left( v \right)[/itex]

Which I think leaves an equation of the form [itex]G \left( u,u_{x},u_{y} \right)=0[/itex] and [itex]F \left( v,v_{x},v_{y} \right)=0[/itex]

It seems to me my original problem has two variables and I have two equations. I think this should be solvable, but I don't know how. Any help please? Thanks in advance!

--edit-- p.s. I'm looking for a numerical (discrete) solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
keyns said:
I'm new, hi all.

I have two coupled equations, one of which is continuity. Basically, my problem comes down to the following system:

(1) [itex]u=f(v)[/itex] (similarly, [itex]v=g(u)[/itex]. Here, u and v are the components of a vector field, ie u=u(x,y) and v=v(x,y).

If u = f(v) and v = g(u), don't you just have a (possibly nonlinear) system of equations to solve for v and u? What is the continuity condition (2) for? Do you get more than one solution by solving (1) and you need (2) to choose a solution of interest?

Mute said:
If u = f(v) and v = g(u), don't you just have a (possibly nonlinear) system of equations to solve for v and u? What is the continuity condition (2) for? Do you get more than one solution by solving (1) and you need (2) to choose a solution of interest?

Actually I have only one relation for [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] that I can write it as [itex]u(v)[/itex] or [itex]v(u)[/itex]. Sorry for the confusion. Otherwise you would be right. To clarify my equations:

(1) A relation for [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] (if I have [itex]u[/itex], I have [itex]v[/itex] and vice versa)
(2) A relation for [itex]u_{x}[/itex] and [itex]v_{y}[/itex] (if I have [itex]u_{x}[/itex], I have [itex]v_{y}[/itex] and vice versa

--edit-- Which then, after some rewriting, leads to two ODE's [itex]G[/itex] and [itex]F[/itex] as stated before. I just don't know how to solve those.

Last edited:

1. How do I identify a set of coupled PDEs?

Coupled PDEs are a set of two or more partial differential equations that are interconnected and dependent on each other. These equations typically involve multiple variables and their derivatives.

2. What is the general approach to solving coupled PDEs?

The general approach to solving coupled PDEs involves first identifying the type of PDEs (e.g. elliptic, parabolic, hyperbolic) and then using appropriate techniques such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, or numerical methods to solve the equations simultaneously.

3. Can I use the same method to solve any set of coupled PDEs?

No, the method used to solve coupled PDEs depends on the specific equations and their properties. Some methods may work for certain types of PDEs but not for others. It is important to carefully analyze the equations and choose the appropriate method for solving them.

4. Is it possible to use software to solve coupled PDEs?

Yes, there are many software packages available that can solve coupled PDEs numerically. These packages use advanced algorithms and techniques to efficiently solve complex systems of PDEs. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the equations and their properties before using software to solve them.

5. What are some common challenges in solving coupled PDEs?

Some common challenges in solving coupled PDEs include identifying the correct method to use, determining appropriate boundary and initial conditions, and dealing with nonlinearities or complex geometries. It is important to carefully analyze the equations and seek help from experts if needed in order to overcome these challenges.