Why an electromagnet doesn't makes a short circuit?

In summary, the key to having a simple coil connected to a battery without causing a short circuit is to use a wire with a nonzero resistance, coated with insulation, and with a length and thickness that allows for a safe current flow. Adding a resistor to the circuit can also prevent overheating. This is different from the design of electric motors, which use thicker wire and less of it to allow for higher currents and generate a back EMF to regulate the current. However, with proper design, an electromagnet can also be operated safely on a DC supply without overheating.
mitocondrio
How can you have a simple coil connected to a battery without having a short circuit in it? How do they make electromagnets that don't heat the battery?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wire has a nonzero resistance, and electromagnets often use a fairly long length of fairly skinny wire.

The wire is coated with insulation (except, of course, at the ends, where the connections are made). So it doesn't matter if the turns touch each other; the current can't cut corners.

Last edited:
Philip Wood said:
The wire is coated with insulation (except, of course, at the ends, where the connections are made). So it doesn't matter if the turns touch each other; the current cam't cut corners.

Yep but I'm talking about the fact that the coil is a simple wire. And if we connect a simple wire to the terminals of the battery it should be a short circuit and heat everything :(

A short-circuit means a circuit which is too short - usually unintentionally. Its resistance is so low that it takes too large a current, overloading the power source and/or overheating the wires.

As cjl pointed out, the wire of the electromagnet is chosen to be long enough and thin enough for its resistance to be large enough for only a modest current to flow.

And if all else fails you can just add a resistor to the circuit.

I do believe that if you stall most electric motors, they will overheat precisely because they have essentially become "short circuits" (albeit not so short).

So...yeah, I believe that a simple electromagnet will actually overheat unless you do something to stop it from doing so.

It's certainly true, as Lsos implies, that if there is a back-emf present, as with an electric motor when it's running, or in an electromagnet when fed with a.c., then the current will be lower than for the same system with no back-emf.

Yet it is possible to design an electromagnet so that it takes a safe current when a suitable p.d. is placed across it, even when there is no back-emf. Like many of us, I would imagine, I played with home-made electromagnets as a child. There were no nasty incidents of overheating, and the batteries lasted a reasonable time. I'm sure someone had advised me to put plenty of thin wire on my iron core!

It's all a matter of design. In general, motors use thicker wire and less of it than you'd use for an electromagnet designed to run for more than a few seconds on a d.c. supply.

[Can't resist saying to Drakkith that he's right, of course, but making the resistor out of extra wire added to the electromagnet coil will have the advantage of making the electromagnet stronger! Just teasing.]

Last edited:
Philip Wood said:
It's all a matter of design. In general, motors use thicker wire and less of it than you'd use for an electromagnet designed to run for more than a few seconds on a d.c. supply.

Interesting. I guess the shorter, thicker wire allows for a higher current to run the motor, especially at startup, and the back EMF generated when it is running keeps the current from getting out of hand?

[Can't resist saying to Drakkith that he's right, of course, but making the resistor out of extra wire added to the electromagnet coil will have the advantage of making the electromagnet stronger! Just teasing.]

Yep!

1. Why doesn't an electromagnet create a short circuit?

An electromagnet does not create a short circuit because it has a specific design that allows for the flow of electricity through its coils without causing a disruption in the circuit. The wires of an electromagnet are wrapped around a core material, which helps to concentrate the magnetic field and prevent the flow of electricity from escaping.

2. How does an electromagnet prevent a short circuit?

An electromagnet prevents a short circuit by using a core material, often made of iron or steel, which concentrates the magnetic field and keeps the flow of electricity contained within the coils. Additionally, the wires are often coated with an insulating material to further prevent any leakage of electricity.

3. Can an electromagnet still cause a short circuit?

While an electromagnet is designed to prevent short circuits, it is still possible for one to occur. This can happen if the wires become damaged or if the insulation becomes worn, allowing for electricity to escape and potentially cause a short circuit. Regular maintenance and proper usage can help prevent this from happening.

4. Is it safe to touch an electromagnet?

In general, it is safe to touch an electromagnet as long as it is not connected to a power source. However, it is important to be cautious and avoid touching the exposed wires of an electromagnet, as this can still pose a risk of electric shock.

5. Why are electromagnets used instead of permanent magnets?

Electromagnets are used instead of permanent magnets because they offer more control and versatility. The strength of an electromagnet can be adjusted by controlling the flow of electricity, while the strength of a permanent magnet is fixed. This makes electromagnets useful in a variety of applications, such as in motors, generators, and medical devices.