Could solar PV cells be made out of aluminum?

In summary, The conversation is about finding alternative materials for photovoltaic solar cells. The participants discuss the possibility of using aluminum as a replacement for rare earth components. However, it is pointed out that aluminum is not a semiconductor and therefore may not be a feasible option. It is also mentioned that silicon, which is not a rare earth element, is a commonly used material in solar panels. The conversation also touches on the abundance of rare earth elements and their unique properties, such as transparent conductivity.
mustang19
I don't know if this is the right forum but I'm curious. Companies are searching for alternatives like copper and zinc to make photovoltaic solar cells out of. Could aluminum ever work and be feasible, and replace current rare Earth components?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know how PV cells work, but I've heard that they are all semiconductor based. I don't think Aluminum is a semiconductor, so my guess is, no.

ps. I don't think silicon is a "rare earth" element.

Here, try this.

OmCheeto said:

Here, try this.

Right. In fact, Silicon is the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust (after oxygen).

Would it be possible to replace those rare Earth and copper components with silicon? From what I've seen solar panels need contacts, and aluminum may not work for those because of the temperatures involved.

phyzguy said:
OmCheeto said:

Here, try this.

Right. In fact, Silicon is the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust (after oxygen).
Rare Earth metals are not really rare, they were just discovered in rare minerals. Cer is more abundant than lead, and all of them are more abundant than gold.

Those metals have some unusual properties which allow transparent conductors. I don't know if that is possible with silicon (I doubt it).

1. Can solar PV cells be made entirely out of aluminum?

While it is possible to make solar PV cells using only aluminum, it is not currently a common practice due to certain limitations. Aluminum is a relatively poor conductor of electricity compared to other materials used in solar cells, such as silicon. This means that using aluminum alone would result in lower efficiency and power output. Additionally, aluminum is not as resistant to corrosion as other materials, making it less durable in outdoor environments.

2. What are the advantages of using aluminum in solar PV cells?

One advantage of using aluminum in solar PV cells is its abundance and low cost. Aluminum is the most abundant metal in the Earth's crust and can be easily extracted from bauxite ore. This makes it a more affordable option compared to other materials used in solar cells. Additionally, aluminum is lightweight and has a high strength-to-weight ratio, making it easier to transport and install.

3. Are there any current technologies that incorporate aluminum in solar PV cells?

Yes, there are currently some solar PV technologies that use aluminum in their construction. For example, some companies have developed solar panels with aluminum frames to reduce weight and increase portability. In addition, there are also hybrid solar cells that use both aluminum and silicon to improve efficiency and reduce costs.

4. How does using aluminum in solar PV cells impact the environment?

Using aluminum in solar PV cells can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On the positive side, aluminum is a recyclable material, meaning that it can be reused and reduce the need for mining and extraction of new materials. However, the production of aluminum also requires a significant amount of energy and can contribute to air and water pollution if not properly managed.

5. Is there ongoing research to improve the use of aluminum in solar PV cells?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development to improve the use of aluminum in solar PV cells. Some researchers are exploring ways to enhance the conductivity of aluminum, while others are working on developing new alloys that are more resistant to corrosion. Additionally, efforts are being made to improve the recycling process of aluminum to make it a more sustainable option for solar cell production.