Question regarding Polyvinylidene fluoride

• Thread starter minaabbasi
  • Start date
In summary, PVDF has a stable piezoelectric property that is not affected by time, but can be influenced by external factors. When stretched, the molecular structure of PVDF aligns to give it this property. Other materials such as quartz and ceramics also exhibit piezoelectricity, but may not have the same properties as PVDF.
minaabbasi
Hi,

I have some questions regarding Polyvinylidene fluoride. It would be great if anyone could heمp and answer them.

1- I know this material is used in lighters because of its piezoelectricity property. I want to know if this property is stable or like batteries it has a life span?

2- about this property, what really changes in the structure of Polyvinylidene fluoride when it is stretched? If you can even provide me a reference to show what happens when it is stretched, it would be so helpful.

3- is there any other material that has this property and is not toxic with long lasting?

Thank you very much.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I am a scientist specializing in materials science and I would be happy to answer your questions about Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF).

1- The piezoelectric property of PVDF is stable and does not have a limited lifespan like batteries. This property arises from the molecular structure of PVDF, which is not affected by time. However, the performance of PVDF in piezoelectric applications can be affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and mechanical stress. Therefore, it is important to consider these factors when using PVDF in applications.

2- When PVDF is stretched, its molecular chains align in a specific direction, resulting in a polarized structure. This alignment of molecular chains is what gives PVDF its piezoelectric property. As for a reference, I recommend the article "Molecular Mechanism of Piezoelectricity in Polyvinylidene Fluoride" by S. K. Tripathy et al. (https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ma970318m)

3- Yes, there are other materials that exhibit piezoelectricity and are not toxic. Some examples include quartz, tourmaline, and certain ceramics. However, these materials may not have the same properties as PVDF, so it is important to consider the specific needs of your application before choosing a material.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Let me know if you have any further inquiries.
Thank you.

1. What is Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF)?

Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) is a type of plastic polymer that is widely used in various industrial applications due to its unique properties. It is a thermoplastic material that is known for its excellent chemical resistance, high thermal stability, and good mechanical strength.

2. How is PVDF produced?

PVDF is produced through a process called polymerization, where the monomer vinylidene fluoride (VDF) is made to undergo a chemical reaction that links together multiple units to form long chains, resulting in the formation of the PVDF polymer. This process can be carried out using different techniques such as suspension polymerization, emulsion polymerization, or solution polymerization.

3. What are the main uses of PVDF?

PVDF has a wide range of uses in various industries. It is commonly used in the production of pipes and tubes, wire and cable insulation, coatings for metal surfaces, and as a binder in lithium-ion batteries. It is also used in the production of membranes for water filtration, as well as in the aerospace and automotive industries.

4. What are the advantages of PVDF compared to other polymers?

PVDF has several advantages over other polymers, including its high chemical resistance, excellent thermal stability, and good mechanical properties. It also has a low density, making it a lightweight material. Additionally, PVDF is known for its ability to maintain its properties in harsh environments and extreme temperatures, making it a versatile material for various applications.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with PVDF?

PVDF is generally considered a safe material to use, as it is non-toxic and does not release harmful chemicals. However, like any other plastic, it can release toxic fumes when heated to high temperatures. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling and processing PVDF to avoid any potential hazards.