Cyclohexane Chair Conformations: Differences Explained

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
In summary: So, the bottom right substituent in the left conformation is pointing down, and the bottom right substituent in the right conformation is pointing up.In summary, the two conformations of the cyclohexane molecule shown in the attachment are equivalent and there is no way to tell them apart based on the substituents.
MathewsMD
In the attached file, it shows the two diagrams for a cyclohexane in its chair conformations. I was just wondering if there's any actual differences between these two structures if there were no substituents except H. Like is the top vertex that has an acute angle drawn in the image point up in the actual chair conformation or something like that? The reason I ask is because when you flip from one chair conformation to the other, you get the other image. I just don't understand how you know which image you start off and which one you end with. And by image, I mean the one of the two conformations drawn in the attachment if you did not understand.

I simply don't understand why we use two different base structures when you have essentially the same chair. I don't really see a difference in the actual cyclohexane 3D molecule when I make it using a model so any explanation would be great!

Thank you so much! :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 10.06.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 10.06.54 PM.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 488
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The only observation I've been able to make is that if the slope of the middle two lines of the body is pointing downwards (negative slope) then the bottom right corner carbon will have an axial substituent downwards. Also, if the slope is positive (the middle two lines are pointing upwards) then the bottom right corner substituents will be pointing up. Please correct me if this generalization is incorrect. Also, please point out any other similarities and differences between the two chair conformations if you can. :)

As long as there are no substituents these are identical. Rotate the molecule 180 deg.

Borek said:
As long as there are no substituents these are identical. Rotate the molecule 180 deg.

So if a question asked, assuming C-1 is the bottom right carbon, which direction is the axial substituent pointing, is there a clear cut answer? Is it correct to assume it is downwards if the chair conformation shown has its middle two lines drawn downwards (the chair on the right)?

Placing artificial labels for the purposes of an exam or something would lead to a unique answer for sure. The positions which the substituents take at any carbon are classified as equatorial or axial, roughly speaking this corresponds to a substituent pointing up/down (axial) versus "out" (equatorial). When chairs flip, the axial positions become equatorial and vice versa.

The point however, is that physically the two conformations you have are equivalent. There is in fact no way to distinguish between the conformers because there is no way to distinguish between the substituents (they are all equivalent hydrogens). Either way you slice it, you'll have 6 equatorial and 6 axial hydrogens. If you exchanged one of the hydrogens for a deuterium or something else, you may be able to use some kind of spectroscopy or other to differentiate between the two conformations, provided the deuterium/substituent is not acidic/exchangeable with the solvent (which is the case here of course).

Yanick said:
Placing artificial labels for the purposes of an exam or something would lead to a unique answer for sure. The positions which the substituents take at any carbon are classified as equatorial or axial, roughly speaking this corresponds to a substituent pointing up/down (axial) versus "out" (equatorial). When chairs flip, the axial positions become equatorial and vice versa.

The point however, is that physically the two conformations you have are equivalent. There is in fact no way to distinguish between the conformers because there is no way to distinguish between the substituents (they are all equivalent hydrogens). Either way you slice it, you'll have 6 equatorial and 6 axial hydrogens. If you exchanged one of the hydrogens for a deuterium or something else, you may be able to use some kind of spectroscopy or other to differentiate between the two conformations, provided the deuterium/substituent is not acidic/exchangeable with the solvent (which is the case here of course).

Yes, I understand that when the substituents are the same, the conformations are actually indistinguishable. My question is regarding the purposes of an examination like you noted, where there are two drawing and each denotes a specific way to draw the substituent at that carbon, either up or down in that specific point of time. I was wondering if the the right structure (in the attachment) has an axial substituent pointing down on the bottom right carbon all the time and if the left chair conformation has an axial substituent pointing up on the bottom right carbon all the time. Just trying to find any confirmation on the two chair conformations. :)

I think what you said is correct, but I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what it is you mean. I find this kind of concept difficult to learn/explain in purely written word. Perhaps a picture will help.

See the picture here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_flip

It codes the carbons and hydrogens and shows a ring flip. I think this should clarify any confusion.

1. What is a cyclohexane chair conformation?

A cyclohexane chair conformation is a specific arrangement of six carbon atoms and their attached hydrogen atoms in a cyclohexane molecule. It is named after its shape, which resembles a chair with a flat seat and a backrest. This conformation is the most stable and common form of cyclohexane due to its minimal strain energy.

2. How do you draw a cyclohexane chair conformation?

To draw a cyclohexane chair conformation, start by drawing a hexagon with six carbon atoms connected by single bonds. Then, draw in the hydrogen atoms attached to each carbon atom. The two carbon atoms at the top and bottom of the hexagon should have their attached hydrogen atoms pointing up, while the four carbon atoms in the middle should have their attached hydrogen atoms pointing down. This will create the characteristic chair shape.

3. What is the difference between an axial and equatorial position in a cyclohexane chair conformation?

In a cyclohexane chair conformation, the axial positions are the two carbon-hydrogen bonds that are perpendicular to the plane of the chair, pointing up or down. The equatorial positions are the four carbon-hydrogen bonds that are parallel to the plane of the chair, pointing either towards the outside of the ring or towards the center. The difference between these positions is important because it affects the stability and reactivity of the molecule.

4. How do you determine which position is more stable in a cyclohexane chair conformation?

In general, equatorial positions are more stable than axial positions because the bulky carbon-hydrogen bonds are farther away from each other in the equatorial positions. This reduces steric strain, which is the repulsion between atoms that are too close together. However, there are some exceptions to this rule depending on the specific substituents present on the cyclohexane molecule.

5. How does the cyclohexane chair conformation affect the reactivity of the molecule?

The cyclohexane chair conformation affects the reactivity of the molecule by influencing the accessibility of the carbon atoms. In general, axial positions are more reactive than equatorial positions because they are more exposed and easier for other molecules to attack. This can lead to different reaction products depending on the orientation of the molecule. Additionally, the steric strain in the axial positions can also hinder certain reactions from occurring, making the equatorial positions more favorable in some cases.