Bridging the Gap: Solving Two Problems

• Thread starter brad sue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap
In summary: Given the family of curves y=1/(x+C).Find the family of orthogonal trajectories.For this problem, I took the first derivative of y---> y'=-1/(x+C)^2. from here, I cannot find the value of C since (x+C)^2=-1/y' which is impossible. What can I do here?If we use 'k' instead of 'C', (in other words, let C=k)Let g(x) describe the family of orthagonal trajectories of y=f(x)=1/(x+k)\begin{gathered} y
brad sue
Hi ,
I have two problem with which I am stuck:

1- Given the family of curves y=1/(x+C).
Find the family of orthogonal trajectories

For this problem, I took the first derivative of y---> y'=-1/(x+C)^2. from here, I cannot find the value of C since (x+C)^2=-1/y' which is impossible.
What can I do here?

2- The pairs {x^2+x,x^2} and {x,x+2x^2} ( found by the Wronskian) are base solutions of the equation y''+p(x)y'+q(x)y=0.
Give the general solution of the equation.

Here I don't even know how to start.

Thank you
B

Physics news on Phys.org
brad sue said:
Find the family of orthogonal trajectories.

For this problem, I took the first derivative of y---> y'=-1/(x+C)^2. from here, I cannot find the value of C since (x+C)^2=-1/y' which is impossible.
What can I do here?
Using 'k' instead of 'C', (in other words, let C=k)
Let g(x) describe the family of orthagonal trajectories of y=f(x)=1/(x+k)

[tex]\begin{gathered}
y = f\left( x \right) = \frac{1}{{x + k}} \Rightarrow \frac{{df}}{{dx}} = - \frac{1}{{\left( {x + k} \right)^2 }} \Rightarrow \hfill \\
\frac{{dg}}{{dx}} = \left( {x + k} \right)^2 \Rightarrow g\left( x \right) = \int {\left( {x + k} \right)^2 dx} = \frac{{\left( {x + k}\right)^3 }}{3} \hfill \\ \end{gathered} [/tex]

Last edited:
brad sue said:
Hi ,
I have two problem with which I am stuck:

Find the family of orthogonal trajectories

What can I do here?
Why do say that's impossible? It's certainly possible for y' to be negative isn't it?
It might be simpler, however, to reverse it: x+ C= 1/y so, differentiating both sides, 1= (-1/y2)y' and y'= -y2. For the orthogonal trajectories you must have y'= 1/y2.

2- The pairs {x^2+x,x^2} and {x,x+2x^2} ( found by the Wronskian) are base solutions of the equation y''+p(x)y'+q(x)y=0.
Give the general solution of the equation.

Here I don't even know how to start.

Thank you
B
I'm not certain what is meant by "base solutions" or in what sense those are "base solutions" but I suspect that the general solution is
y(x)= Cx2+ Dx.

HallsofIvy said:
Why do say that's impossible? It's certainly possible for y' to be negative isn't it?
It might be simpler, however, to reverse it: x+ C= 1/y so, differentiating both sides, 1= (-1/y2)y' and y'= -y2. For the orthogonal trajectories you must have y'= 1/y2.

I'm not certain what is meant by "base solutions" or in what sense those are "base solutions" but I suspect that the general solution is
y(x)= Cx2+ Dx.

Thank you,
I was confused by the fact that a square ca not be negative. But as you pointed out , we are talking about derivative..
B

1. What is the concept of "Bridging the Gap: Solving Two Problems"?

"Bridging the Gap: Solving Two Problems" refers to the approach of finding a solution that addresses two separate problems at the same time. This concept can be applied in various fields, such as technology, medicine, and social issues, to create effective and efficient solutions.

2. How does "Bridging the Gap" benefit society?

The concept of "Bridging the Gap" can benefit society by solving multiple problems simultaneously, which can save time, resources, and effort. This approach also promotes innovation and can lead to more sustainable and comprehensive solutions for complex issues.

3. Can you provide an example of "Bridging the Gap" in action?

One example of "Bridging the Gap" is the use of renewable energy sources to address both environmental and energy crisis issues. Wind turbines and solar panels not only reduce carbon emissions and combat climate change, but they also provide a sustainable and renewable source of energy.

4. What skills are necessary for successful implementation of "Bridging the Gap"?

To successfully implement "Bridging the Gap", one needs critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity skills. It also requires the ability to identify and understand multiple problems, and find connections and solutions that address them effectively.

5. How can individuals apply "Bridging the Gap" in their daily lives?

Individuals can apply the concept of "Bridging the Gap" in their daily lives by actively seeking solutions that address multiple problems at once. This could involve finding eco-friendly alternatives to products, supporting businesses that have a social impact, or volunteering for organizations that tackle various issues simultaneously.