Marine Biology- Waves and Their Characteristics

In summary, ships often change their course during strong storms at sea by traveling directly into the direction of the wind and waves, even if it is not their intended direction. This is done for safety reasons, as it reduces the effects of the wind on the larger surface area of the ship. In extreme storms, ships may even travel in the opposite direction of their intended course, as this may be safer than traveling into the wind and waves. In terms of water movement in waves, it is best to think of a particle and observe its movement. In the experiment, the object moved away from the pan as the water itself was moving away from the pan. However, it is important to note that water dynamics can vary depending on the depth of the
AngelShare
4. In strong storms at sea, ships often alter their course for safety reasons. They will travel directly into the direction from which the waves and wind are coming (even if this is not the direction they intended to go in). Why do you think it would be safer to travel into the wind and seas rather than at an angle across them?

5. In extreme storms (this is different than question 4), ships may turn and travel in the same direction as the wind and waves are traveling (even if this takes them in the opposite direction they had planned to go). Why do you think this may be safer than traveling into the wind and waves?

I've thought and thought and yet I can't figure it out...I'm sure it's a really simple concept but my mind doesn't seem to be grasping it. The experiment we were to do gave me conflicting information...

10. In what direction does the WATER move in a wave? (trick question?) You might need to test this in your bathtub. Fill your tub with approximately two inches of water. Place a small floating object at one end of the tub and then place the bottom of a pan at the other end. GENTLY move the pan up and down to create small waves. Watch for the progress the object makes across the tub. Describe what you see.

The first time I tried the experiment, the object floated towards the pan. The second and third times, I couldn’t get it to move much either way. The fourth time, I tried putting the object closer to the pan and the result was the object moving away from the pan and then stopping once it got out of the wave’s range. It appears that the water itself is moving away from the pan but I vaguely remember reading something about waves pulling you out to sea instead of pushing you onto shore.

Physics news on Phys.org
4 + 5) Try thinking about what effect the wind will have on the larger surface area (of the side of the boat) compared to the smaller surface area (at the front of the boat).

What is going to happen to the ship if the wind comes from the front, and what about from the side?

4 and 5 seem pretty well covered by gen0688, just think about the forces involved and how you would best reduce those forces that are acting against the ship.

Number 10- I'm going to assume that the question is loooking for water movement in a wave in the open ocean (aka- deep water). Water dynamics changes with decreasing depth of the water so be aware (more on this below). Anyway it's best to think of a particle in the wave and "see" how it is moving. You can do a google search for "particle movement in water waves" and you'll find your answer pretty quickly. As far as your experiment in the bathtub goes. You have to be careful not to generate waves with a long wavelength since a wave is affected by the underlying substrate, ie., the shore or your tub, at about 1/2 the wavelength. So if you are making large waves that particular 2 inch depth of water may not be deep enough to show you what the particle should do in open water. You will find that as you approach the shore the particle and the water moves in a roughly similar fashion just a different "shape".

What is marine biology?

Marine biology is the study of living organisms and their interactions within marine environments, including oceans, estuaries, and other saltwater habitats.

What are waves?

Waves are disturbances that travel through a medium, such as water, without the transport of matter. In marine biology, waves are important for understanding the movement and distribution of marine organisms.

How are waves formed?

Waves are typically formed by wind blowing over the surface of the water, creating ripples that can grow into larger waves. Other factors that can contribute to wave formation include tides, earthquakes, and underwater landslides.

What are the characteristics of waves?

Waves can be characterized by their wavelength, amplitude, frequency, and period. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs, while amplitude is the height of a wave. Frequency is the number of waves passing a given point in a certain amount of time, and period is the time it takes for one wave to pass a given point.

How do waves affect marine life?

The movement and energy of waves can have significant impacts on marine life. For example, waves can distribute nutrients and oxygen, help transport larvae and other organisms, and influence the behavior and feeding patterns of marine animals. However, waves can also cause damage to marine habitats and organisms during storms or other extreme conditions.