Rusty - fill in missing steps, please

• Thread starter Yoss
  • Start date
In summary, a question was asked about finding the gradient of a chord on a parabola. The conversation went on to explain the equation for the gradient and how it was derived through the use of fractions and the formula for a difference of squares. There was also a brief discussion about formatting in the tex tag.
Yoss
Hello everyone,

I'm taking a high level Geometry course, and as it turns out, I'm a tad out of touch on at least one basic aspect learned years passed.

Parabola with equation [tex] y^2 = 2x[/tex], and parametric equation [tex] x = \frac{1}{2}t^2, y = t (t \in \Re) [/tex] etc.

The problem is concered with finding the equation of the chord that joins the distinct points P and Q on the parabola w/ parameters [tex] t_1 [/tex] and [tex] t_2 [/tex] respectively, etc.

No that much of that was relevant to my quandray, which is in finding the gradient of PQ.
[tex] m = \frac{t_1 - t_2}{{\frac{1}{2}(t_1^2 - t_2^2)} = \frac{2}{t_1 + t_2} [\tex]
edit: sorry, I guess I didn't get that tex tag right (what is wrong with it? Can I nest fractions like that?)

m = (t1 - t2)/[.5(t1^2 - t2^2)] = 2/(t1 + t2).I can't remember (if I had learned it that is) how they arrived from the first to the latter fraction.

An explanation would be quite welcome, thanks.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you asking why:

[tex]\frac{t_1-t_2}{\frac{1}{2} ({t_1}^2-{t_2}^2)}=\frac{2}{t_1+t_2}[/tex]

? If so, remember that [itex]a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)[/itex]. And you can click on the equation above to see how I got it working. I think you have an extra {.

StatusX said:
Are you asking why:

[tex]\frac{t_1-t_2}{\frac{1}{2} ({t_1}^2-{t_2}^2)}=\frac{2}{t_1+t_2}[/tex]

? If so, remember that [itex]a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)[/itex]. And you can click on the equation above to see how I got it working. I think you have an extra {.

Thanks, I guess I wasn't looking at it the right way.

Did you need the {'s around each t in the denominator?

Yoss said:
Did you need the {'s around each t in the denominator?

No, but it makes it look nicer. {...}^2 puts the two above and to the right of the whole expression. If you just wrote t_1^2, you get some looks like a tensor element:

[tex] {t_1}^2 [/tex] vs [tex] t_1^2[/tex]

Yoss, your last equation... you used a backslash to close the tex tag is all you got wrong.

1. What is "Rusty" and why is it important?

"Rusty" refers to the process of rust formation, which occurs when iron or steel is exposed to oxygen and moisture. It is important because rust can weaken the structural integrity of metal objects and lead to corrosion, which can be costly to repair or replace.

2. What are the steps involved in preventing rust?

The steps for preventing rust include cleaning the metal surface to remove any existing rust, applying a protective coating such as paint or oil to prevent moisture from reaching the metal, and keeping the metal dry and free from exposure to harsh environments.

3. How can I remove rust from metal objects?

Rust can be removed from metal objects by using abrasive materials like sandpaper or steel wool to physically scrub off the rust, or by using chemical solutions such as vinegar or lemon juice to dissolve the rust. It is important to wear protective gear and follow safety precautions when using chemicals to remove rust.

4. Can rust be prevented on outdoor metal objects?

While it is difficult to completely prevent rust on outdoor metal objects, there are steps that can be taken to slow down the rusting process. These include keeping the metal clean and dry, applying a protective coating, and regularly inspecting and maintaining the metal object.

5. How can I prevent rust on my car?

To prevent rust on a car, it is important to regularly wash and wax the exterior to keep it clean and protected from moisture. It is also recommended to have the car's undercarriage inspected and treated with a rust inhibitor, especially if you live in a humid or coastal area where salt is used on the roads during winter.