Three charges arranged in equilateral triangle

In summary: In this case, we know that the charges are at rest, so we can set the potential to zero at the points where the charges are. We also know that the fourth charge is released from rest, so we can set the potential at the point of release to be 6.73 x 10^-6 C. Finally, we know that the fourth charge has a speed of 5392.538 m/s, so we can solve for the electric field at the point of release.The electric field at the point of release is -68.482 kV/m.
FlipStyle1308
The three charges are held in place below. L = 1.40 m.
20-24alt.gif

(a) Find the electric potential at point P.
(b) Suppose that a fourth charge, with a charge of 6.73 μC and a mass of 4.71 g, is released from rest at point P. What is the speed of the fourth charge when it has moved infinitely far away from the other three charges?

For part (a), I am pretty sure that I use the equation U = kqoq/r, but don't know what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by calculating the electric field at P (remember that the electric field is a vector so you need the vector form) from there you should be able to do the problem.

So I use E = - V/r, right? How do I calculate this? I have to add values based on each charge, right? I don't know how to do this.

The geometry is deafening. Think 1/r^2.

Does this mean E = -V/r^2?

Bump! I just correctly calculated the electric potential at point P to be 68.482 kV. How do I solve part (b)?

Last edited:
I'm still stuck, is anyone able to help me figure out this last part of the question? Thanks.

If you know the potential at P, then you know the fourth charge's PE at P. You also know V at infinity, then use conservation of energy.

So the electric potential at point P = (1/2)mv^2, v = 5392.538 m/s? Do I need to incorporate the 6.73 x 10^-6 C at all?

Last edited:
Yes, the potential energy is given by PE=qV.Then set that equal to 1/2 mv^2. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Okay, thanks!

As Tomsk pointed out, establishing the global energy potential is the right place to start. It's all about entropy. Good explanation Tomsk. This is the guiding principle in almost all physics problems - define the boundary conditions.

1. What is an equilateral triangle?

An equilateral triangle is a geometric shape with three sides that are all equal in length. It is also known as a regular triangle.

2. What are the three charges in an equilateral triangle?

In the context of this experiment, the three charges refer to point charges - positive or negative charges that are located at the corners of the equilateral triangle.

3. How are the charges arranged in an equilateral triangle?

The charges are arranged at the three corners of the equilateral triangle, with each charge being equidistant from the other two charges.

4. What is the purpose of this experiment?

This experiment helps us understand the concept of electric fields and how they interact with point charges. It also allows us to observe the effects of different charge configurations on the resulting electric field.

5. What factors affect the strength of the electric field in an equilateral triangle?

The strength of the electric field is affected by the magnitude and sign of the charges, as well as the distance between the charges. The shape and orientation of the equilateral triangle may also have an impact on the resulting electric field.