Calculating Electrons for 4.00nC Negative Charge

• Thread starter Magna1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the question is about the number of electrons needed to transfer to a body to give it a negative charge of 4.00nC. The person discussing the question calculates the answer to be 25*10^9, but the book's answer is 390*10^-9. They wonder if the negative charge is affecting their calculation or if the book's answer is incorrect. They also mention that sometimes books have errors in the answers section.
Magna1
THe question is.
How many electrons must be transferred to a body to give it a negative charge of 4.00nC.?/
So going with what I think 4*10^-9/1.602189...*10^-19=
=25*10^9.
BUT the answer in my book. is 390*10^-9.
What am I missing. Is this negative thing screwing me up or is the answer in my book wrong?
I Can't find anywhere in my book that helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and answer seem correct. The book's answer is silly. :smile:

OFten what happens: a book will change their problems slightly when a new edition is made, but sometimes they forget to change the selected answers in the back.

Thanks

Hopefuly that was it. Cause I went into my test today with the way I was doing it, Forget the book maybe I should just ask you guys.
Thanks

1. How do you calculate the number of electrons for a negative charge of 4.00nC?

The number of electrons for a negative charge can be calculated by dividing the charge value by the elementary charge, which is approximately 1.602 x 10^-19 Coulombs. In this case, 4.00nC divided by 1.602 x 10^-19 C would give us approximately 2.49 x 10^13 electrons.

2. What is the elementary charge and why is it used in this calculation?

The elementary charge is the fundamental unit of electric charge, and it is used in this calculation because it represents the magnitude of the charge carried by a single electron. It is used as a reference point for calculating larger charges, such as 4.00nC in this case.

3. Can this calculation be used for any type of negative charge?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of negative charge, as long as the charge is expressed in Coulombs. However, for smaller charges, it may be more convenient to use a different unit, such as electrons or microCoulombs.

4. How does the number of electrons change if the charge is positive?

If the charge is positive, the number of electrons would be the same, but with a positive sign. However, it is important to note that the charge of an object is determined by the excess or deficiency of electrons, not the actual number of electrons present.

5. Is this calculation affected by the type of material the charge is in?

No, this calculation is not affected by the type of material the charge is in. The number of electrons would remain the same regardless of the material, as long as the charge remains constant.