All causes are catalysts, do you agree?

• Thread starter kmarinas86
  • Start date
In summary, every true cause of an event is the event's catalyst, some "activation potential" must be crossed for any event to occur, including meme propagation, and if a given cause is never a catalyst, it is never determinate. Additionally, if a cause is never determinate, it may not be intelligible, and science may not be able to study it.
kmarinas86
Do you think every true cause of an event is the event's catalyst?

Do you think that some "activation potential" must be crossed for any event which may occur to occur?

Do you think that some "activation potential" must be crossed for a meme to propogate further?

If a given cause is never a catalyst, is the cause never determinate?

If the cause is never determinate, may it ever be intelligible?

If it can never be intelligible, can science study it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would say meaningless, meaningless, yes, meaningless (I think), no, no. I think the meaningless ones don't matter either way.

motives are the key here

I'm waiting for kmarinas to respond rather than writing a fat response.

Ok, do you want me to talk about your answers?

kmarinas86 said:

Do you think that some "activation potential" must be crossed for any event which may occur to occur?

Do you think that some "activation potential" must be crossed for a meme to propogate further?

If catalysts increase the probability of a reaction occurring, why do they happen? If the definition of energy is the potential to do work, then why do things change if energy is another measure of probability? What causes things to change?

kmarinas86 said:
...Do you think that some "activation potential" must be crossed for any event which may occur to occur?...
Suppose an event which may occur in the future = the moon will rise tomorrow. I find no "activation potential" to be crossed for this event to occur if it does occur, only the continued existence of the Earth and the moon.

regent said:
If catalysts increase the probability of a reaction occurring, why do they happen?

Probable cause.

regent said:
[W]hy do things change if energy is another measure of probability?

Um. Probability is not measured in joules, ergs, eV, or anything like that.

regent said:
What causes things to change?

Probable cause.

Rade said:
Suppose an event which may occur in the future = the moon will rise tomorrow. I find no "activation potential" to be crossed for this event to occur if it does occur, only the continued existence of the Earth and the moon.

The activation potential is not "to be" crossed. It already has done so long ago. There is no change in "activity" necessary for this to occur. There is no change in orbital "frequency" necessary for this to occur. The necessary activity and frequency have been present in the system, and no energy has to be added.

Kmarinas, I take it that when one asks a question, they should anticipate the answer. Therefore, I gave answers which might or might not be consistent with your anticipation. Now I wait for you to tell us what your anticipation was, and how my answers corresponded to your intuitions.

verty said:
Kmarinas, I take it that when one asks a question, they should anticipate the answer. Therefore, I gave answers which might or might not be consistent with your anticipation. Now I wait for you to tell us what your anticipation was, and how my answers corresponded to your intuitions.

I has no idea as to what to ancipate.

kmarinas86 said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, no, no.

Okay then, that settles it.

1. What is a catalyst?

A catalyst is a substance that speeds up a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. It lowers the activation energy required for the reaction to occur, making it happen faster.

2. Why do some reactions need a catalyst?

Some reactions have a high activation energy, which means they require a lot of energy to start. This can make the reaction happen slowly or not at all. A catalyst helps lower the activation energy, making the reaction occur more quickly.

3. Are all catalysts the same?

No, there are different types of catalysts, such as biological, heterogeneous, and homogeneous catalysts. They have different structures and mechanisms for speeding up reactions.

4. How do catalysts work?

Catalysts work by providing an alternative pathway for the reaction to occur with lower energy requirements. They can do this by stabilizing intermediate states, providing a surface for reactants to bind to, or changing the orientation of molecules.

5. Can all causes be considered catalysts?

This is a debated topic among scientists. Some argue that catalysts only apply to chemical reactions, while others believe that anything that speeds up a process can be considered a catalyst. It ultimately depends on the definition and context of the term "catalyst."