Job at a particle accelerator?

In summary, jobs in physics may be scarce, but there are opportunities for employment at accelerators like Fermilab. These positions are often filled by graduate students, post-docs, and professors from universities, and also by permanent staff with various levels of education. Some positions may require additional schooling on top of a bachelor's or Ph.D. degree. These jobs offer stability, but applicants should be prepared for security checks and drug tests.
enian
I've been reading a lot about jobs in physics being scarce. What about jobs at accelerators though? How would one get a job at fermilab for ex? Does it require additional schooling on top of a b.s. or Ph.D.? Would these offer stable positions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Many people who work at accelerators (especially research staff) are actually employed through universities as professors, post-docs or graduate students. Lots of undergrads work at accelerators too! (I did!) It was fun - whenever the electromagnet was switched on, my CRT computer monitor would change from blue to green.

The permanant technical staff at an accelerator ranges from machinists to PhD-holding research associates, who are hired on a permanent or semi-permanent basis. A lot of the highly qualified technical staff acquire positions after doing graduate work on the project they are eventually hired for.

PS - one of my friends worked at Fermilab for a summer. When he arrived he had to pass a security check and take a urine test. So be sure to lay off those mind-altering drugs if you'd like to work at Fermilab. :cool:

A friend of mine had a u-grad summer job at CERN writing Tex macros that handled the 100s of 'contibutors' to each HEP paper.
But he wasn't allowed to add his name to all the papers as an extra contibutor!

1. What is a particle accelerator?

A particle accelerator is a machine that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate and collide particles at extremely high speeds. These collisions can help scientists study the properties of particles and the fundamental laws of nature.

2. What kind of jobs are available at a particle accelerator?

There are a variety of jobs available at a particle accelerator, including engineers, technicians, physicists, and support staff. Some specific job titles may include accelerator physicist, beamline scientist, and accelerator operator.

3. What skills are needed to work at a particle accelerator?

Some common skills needed to work at a particle accelerator include strong mathematical and computational skills, knowledge of physics and particle accelerators, and the ability to work with complex machinery and technology. Strong communication and problem-solving skills are also important.

4. What is the work environment like at a particle accelerator?

The work environment at a particle accelerator can vary depending on the specific facility, but it typically involves working in a large laboratory or underground tunnel. The work may involve shifts, as accelerators often run 24 hours a day, and may require wearing protective gear and working with potentially hazardous materials.

5. How can I get a job at a particle accelerator?

To get a job at a particle accelerator, you will typically need a relevant degree in physics, engineering, or a related field. Many facilities also offer internships or research opportunities for students. Networking, gaining experience in related fields, and staying up-to-date on advancements in the field can also increase your chances of getting a job at a particle accelerator.