Diffraction Grating wavelengths

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a diffraction grating with 6000 lines/cm to produce an image from light wavelengths of 520nm and 630nm. The first and second-order maxima angles for each fringe are calculated, with a reminder to use the correct wavelength for each order. It is also mentioned that the lowest value of m for which the 520-nm line no longer exists should be calculated independently. The expert advises the individual to do their own calculations and not rely on others to complete their homework.
rojasharma
light wavelengths of 520nm and 630nm passes through a diffraction grating that contains 6000lines/cm. a) sketch a diagram of the image produced from m=0 to m=2. label the order of each fringe.b) calculate the angles for the first and second-order maxima that would appear on the screen. c) What is the lowest value of m for which the 520-nm line no longer exists?

For part b...what wavlength do i use to find the angles for the first and second oreder maxima?...:S

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help me ...please..

Both.
They have different angles in both the first and second maxima.
c)
(10^-2/6000)sintheta =n(520*10^-9)
sintheta cannot exceed one
so calculate the n your own

you should calculate and do homework yourself.
I am to guide you, not to help u finish your homework

this is not my homework..It was my homework...but i got it wrong, unfortunately my teacher did not write the correct answer...as my exam is approching...i am preparing for it. I am doing this course through ilc, ilc tutors are not available right now because of the break, that's why i wanted to know the answer to this question.
So for part b) i am supposed to find the first and sec order maxima for both wavelengths?...i see now that's why i got it wrong in first place.

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a device that is used to separate and analyze light into its component wavelengths. It consists of a large number of evenly spaced parallel slits or grooves that cause light to diffract and produce a spectrum of colors.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

When light passes through a diffraction grating, it is diffracted into different angles depending on its wavelength. The spacing between the slits or grooves determines the angle of diffraction, with smaller spacing resulting in a larger angle and vice versa. This allows for the separation and analysis of different wavelengths of light.

3. What is the difference between a transmission and reflection diffraction grating?

A transmission diffraction grating allows light to pass through the slits or grooves, while a reflection diffraction grating reflects light off of its surface. Both types of gratings work on the same principle of diffracting light, but the way they are constructed and used may differ.

4. How are diffraction grating wavelengths measured?

The spacing between the slits or grooves on a diffraction grating is measured in units of distance, such as nanometers or micrometers. This spacing is then used to calculate the angle of diffraction for a specific wavelength of light, allowing for the determination of the wavelength being analyzed.

5. What are some applications of diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings are used in a variety of scientific and technological applications. They are commonly used in spectroscopy to analyze the composition of light sources, as well as in optical instruments such as telescopes and spectrometers. They are also used in the production of holograms and in laser systems for their ability to manipulate and separate different wavelengths of light.