2nd order with exponential and constant on right side

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation involving constants a and b, with boundary conditions and a constant term on the right side. The speaker shares their initial approach for solving the equation without the constant term, but expresses difficulty in finding a solution with the constant term included. The equation is related to a Schottky diode and the speaker has tried various methods, including polynomial approximation, without success.
ADGigus
Hi everybody,

How do I solve this differential equation ??:

y'' = a(Exp(-b*y)-1) ;

where a, b are constants

with the boundaries conditions :

y'(x=0)=-K1
y'(x=L)=0

without the constant term I can do

y''*y' = y' a Exp(-b y)

then integrate it

[tex]\ {1/2} (y')^2= {a/b} ~Exp(-b y)[/tex]

and so on and finaly find something in hyperbolic function Tanh()...

but With the constant term " -a " on the right side, I don't know how to start.

Thank very much for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ADGigus! Welcome to PF! :smile:

easy-peasy …

∫ y' (a Exp(-b y) - a)

= ∫ay'Exp(-b y) - ∫ay' :smile:

ok but my problem is in the followings...

Thank you for your very quick answer and the welcome.

Yes I agree til there it's easy but it's the following that gives me troubles.

so
starting from :

[tex] y'' = a Exp(-b y) -a [/tex]

[tex] y ' y'' = y ' a Exp(-b y) -a y ' [/tex]

after the integration on y on both sides, I have :

[tex] 1/2~(y ')^2 = -a/b~ Exp(-b y) -a y + K [/tex][tex]y' =\sqrt{-2a (1/b ~ Exp(-b y)-y) + K}[/tex]

and then I'm really stuck... :-(

Last edited:
Hi ADGigus! :smile:

Yes … I'm stuck too. :frown:

Are you sure it's not y'' = a(Exp(-b*y-1)) ? :smile:

it's ok

Yes I'm sure it's correct,

it's coming from the expression of a Schottky diode (current density vs Voltage)

so it's :

J = a(Exp(-bV) -1)

because you want 0 current at bias of 0 Volts...

I already try many way to solve this equations, til now I'm fully stuck

Even numerically I don't find any correct way to solve it.

May be there is some polynomial approximation to use, but I don't really find anything fine.

if we take the developpement of exponential at the first order it's easy (1+V), but it's insufficient, I lose the diode physics and it does like it's something linear, so ohmic. And It's not enough for my calculation.

Last edited:

What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is an equation that involves a second derivative of a function, such as dy/dx or d2y/dx2.

What does it mean to have an exponential term in a 2nd order differential equation?

An exponential term in a 2nd order differential equation means that the solution to the equation will involve an exponential function, which can grow or decay rapidly depending on the value of the exponent.

Why is there a constant term on the right side of a 2nd order differential equation?

The constant term on the right side of a 2nd order differential equation is a form of forcing function, which represents any external factors that can affect the behavior of the system being modeled by the equation.

How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation with an exponential and constant on the right side?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation with an exponential and constant on the right side, you can use a variety of methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters, depending on the specific equation and initial conditions.

What are some real-world applications of 2nd order differential equations with an exponential and constant on the right side?

Some real-world applications of 2nd order differential equations with an exponential and constant on the right side include modeling population growth, predicting the motion of a spring-mass system, and analyzing electrical circuits with capacitors and resistors.