A Proposition in Galois Theory

• Thread starter thomtyrrell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, a subfield of the complex numbers, K, forms a finite, Galois extension of K when the elements of a finite set, X, are permuted by an automorphism of the complex numbers that fixes K. This is proven by showing that every element of X is algebraic over K, the extension is finite and separable, and the normality condition is satisfied by constructing an automorphism that maps a root of an irreducible polynomial to any other root of that polynomial. The possibility of extending any automorphism of a subfield of the complex numbers to an automorphism of the complex numbers was a key factor in understanding the proof.
thomtyrrell
The claim is:

Let K be a subfield of the complex numbers, and let X be a finite set of complex numbers. If the elements of X are permuted by any automorphism of the complex numbers that fixes K, then the field obtained by adjoining the elements of X to K is a finite, Galois extension of K.

The definitions of Galois extension that I have learned do not seem to yield an easy proof. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
What definition are you using? Show that this extension is normal is really not so bad. (hint: start with any polynomial which has a root, and find an automorphism taking it to other roots...)

First, you need to show that every element of X is algebraic over K.
if x was not algebraic over K, then there would be an automorphism taking it to x+a (any a in K), so X would have to contain {x+a:a in K}, which is infinite.

Ah, I believe it makes sense now...

1. The extension is finite for otherwise there would be an infinite number of automorphisms of K(X) that fix K (Correct me if I'm wrong, but one way to see this would be to pick a basis for K(X) over K, and then determine an automorphism by specifying a permutation of the basis and extending that to K(X) by "linearity"). Extending these to [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex], we would have an infinite number of automorphisms of [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex] that fix K and all act differently on K(X), which is a contradiction.
2. The extension is separable as K is perfect (characteristic 0)
3. (Normality) If f is an irreducible polynomial with coefficients in K and a root in K(X), we can construct an automorphism of the complex numbers that fixes K and maps that root to any other root of f. Then, by assumption, it follows that all the roots of f lie in K(X).

Let [tex]\alpha[/tex] be the root of f in K(X) and let [tex]\beta[/tex] be another root of f (not necessarily in K(X)). To construct such an automorphism, we could, for instance, start by extending the identity on K to an isomorphism of [tex]K(\alpha)[/tex] and [tex]K(\beta)[/tex] which maps [tex]\alpha[/tex] to [tex]\beta[/tex], extend that iso. to an automorphism of the splitting field of f, and then extend that to an automorphism of [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]

I was unaware that we could extend any automorphism of a subfield of [tex] \mathbb{C} [/tex] to an automorphism of [tex] \mathbb{C} [/tex]; that seemed to be what was holding me back. Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes - except for this bit
thomtyrrell said:
(Correct me if I'm wrong, but one way to see this would be to pick a basis for K(X) over K, and then determine an automorphism by specifying a permutation of the basis and extending that to K(X) by "linearity").

Permutations of a basis set do not extend to automorphisms in many (most) cases.
If K->K(X) was infinite, then K->K(x) would be infinite for some x in X. Then see my previous post to contruct an infinite number of automorphisms of K(x) fixing K.

Indeed. Thanks again for your help.

1. What is a proposition in Galois Theory?

A proposition in Galois Theory is a statement that has been proven to be true using the principles and techniques of Galois Theory. It is an important tool in understanding and solving problems related to field extensions and their automorphisms.

2. How is a proposition different from a theorem?

While both a proposition and a theorem are statements that have been proven to be true, a proposition is usually a smaller or simpler statement that is used as a building block in proving a larger or more complex theorem. A theorem, on the other hand, is a more significant statement that is often used to explain or solve a problem.

3. What are some examples of propositions in Galois Theory?

Some examples of propositions in Galois Theory include the Fundamental Theorem of Galois Theory, which states that there is a one-to-one correspondence between intermediate fields of a Galois extension and subgroups of the Galois group, and the Tower Law, which states that if K is a finite extension of F and L is a finite extension of K, then L is a finite extension of F and [L:F] = [L:K] x [K:F].

4. How are propositions used in problem-solving in Galois Theory?

Propositions are used as tools in problem-solving in Galois Theory by providing a starting point for proving larger theorems. They also help to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable ones. Furthermore, propositions can be used to establish key properties or relationships that are necessary for solving a problem.

5. Are all propositions in Galois Theory equally important?

No, not all propositions in Galois Theory are equally important. Some propositions may be more fundamental and widely applicable, while others may be specific to certain fields or situations. However, each proposition plays a crucial role in building a comprehensive understanding of Galois Theory and its applications.