Paper Tower - Mats: (1) Letter Size Paper

• Thread starter collegekid123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper Tower
In summary, we are given one piece of paper, with no support. It has to stand on it's own for 20 seconds to be measured. We can cut, fold, and roll the paper but we cannot use any outside materials such as tape, spit, paper clips, or glue. Our goal is to construct the tallest free standing structure. Last year the tallest project reached 6' 1". In 2004, the record holder, was constructed reaching 7' 3". We get double the maximum points if we can reach 6'+. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated!
collegekid123

Homework Statement

Given one piece of standard printer quality paper (8 1/2" x 11"), construct the tallest free standing structure.

Materials:
1 Letter size piece of printer quality paperThoughts

So I have searched and read through other threads containing this problem, but all require tape, paper clips, etc.

We are given one piece of paper, with no support. It has to stand on it's own for 20 seconds to be measured. We can cut, fold, and roll the paper but we cannot use any outside materials such as tape, spit, paper clips, or glue.

Last year the tallest project reached 6' 1".
In 2004, the record holder, was constructed reaching 7' 3".

We get double the maximum points if we can reach 6'+.

Tried...

I have tried a few designs, all coming horribly short of any respectable height.

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
collegekid123 said:

Homework Statement

Given one piece of standard printer quality paper (8 1/2" x 11"), construct the tallest free standing structure.

Materials:
1 Letter size piece of printer quality paper

Thoughts

So I have searched and read through other threads containing this problem, but all require tape, paper clips, etc.

We are given one piece of paper, with no support. It has to stand on it's own for 20 seconds to be measured. We can cut, fold, and roll the paper but we cannot use any outside materials such as tape, spit, paper clips, or glue.

Last year the tallest project reached 6' 1".
In 2004, the record holder, was constructed reaching 7' 3".

We get double the maximum points if we can reach 6'+.

Tried...

I have tried a few designs, all coming horribly short of any respectable height.

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated!

Show us some pictures of the previous winners, and maybe we can offer some hints. Maybe not, though. Sounds like some previous winners were pretty creative!

And keep in mind that we will not do your work and your project for you. Hints only here at the PF.

I would love to have pictures of previous winners.

But that would defeat the purpose of the project, which is to construct it on your own. :wink:

I'm just looking for ideas for structural design since we can't use anything but paper; it's hard to roll it into tubes or have the base stable enough to support a decent height.

I was thinking about cutting strips, folding them, then making slits perpendicular to the fold to 'connect' more on top of some sort of base but again, I'm stuck on a base design.

Thanks for any hints!

I think this is also a test of your manipulative skills so if you come up with a promising design do not be put off just because it may be hard to do,practise it.I made one once,it fell over.

1. How do I construct a paper tower using letter size paper?

To construct a paper tower using letter size paper, first fold one sheet of paper in half lengthwise. Then, fold the two outer edges of the paper towards the center crease to create a triangle shape. Repeat this process with 4 more sheets of paper. Finally, stack the folded sheets on top of each other to create a tower.

2. How tall can a paper tower made with letter size paper be?

The height of a paper tower made with letter size paper depends on the thickness and sturdiness of the paper used. It is recommended to use thicker paper or reinforce the tower with tape or glue to make it taller and more stable.

3. What is the purpose of building a paper tower using letter size paper?

Building a paper tower with letter size paper is a fun and interactive way to learn about structural engineering and stability. It also improves hand-eye coordination and problem-solving skills.

4. What are some tips for making a sturdy paper tower using letter size paper?

To make a sturdy paper tower, use thicker paper or reinforce the structure with tape or glue. Also, make sure to fold the paper carefully and evenly to create a strong base. Additionally, distribute the weight of the tower evenly to prevent it from tipping over.

5. Can I use other types of paper to build a tower besides letter size paper?

Yes, you can use other types of paper such as construction paper, cardstock, or even newspaper to construct a tower. However, the size and thickness of the paper may affect the stability and height of the tower.