Unpolarized Light Intensity problem

In summary, the intensity of unpolarized light is 15W/m^2 and is transmitted through a polarizing material at an angle of 25 degrees with the vertical. A second polarizer, with a horizontal transmission axis, is located after the first. The intensity of the light after transmission through the first polarizer is 7.5W/m^2. After transmission through the second polarizer, with a transmission angle of 65 degrees, the intensity is 1.3W/m^2.
hardwork

Homework Statement

Unpolarized light has intensity 15W/m^2 and is incident on a sheet of polarizing material whose transmission axis makes an angle of 25 degrees with the vertical. A second polarizer, whose transmission axis is horizontal, is located just past the first.

(a) What is the intensity of the light after it is transmitted through the first polarizer?
(b) What is the intensity of the light after it is transmitted through the second polarizer?

Homework Equations

I = (1/2)Io
I = Io(cos theta)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I = (1/2)(15W/m^2) = 7.5W/m^2 -- haha sorry. I had it set up differently before, and put in the wrong answer.

b) How would I set this up? Would the angle be 90-25?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hardwork said:
a) I = (1/2)(15W/m^2) = 30W/m^2
Check that arithmetic. :uhh:

b) How would I set this up? Would the angle be 90-25?
Yes. So by what additional factor would the intensity be reduced?

b) I = (7.5W/m^2)(cos 65)^2 = 1.3 W/m^2

Thank you for your help today!

hardwork said:
b) I = (7.5W/m^2)(cos 65)^2 = 1.3 W/m^2
Looks good. (And you're welcome.)

1. What is unpolarized light intensity?

Unpolarized light intensity refers to the amount of light that is present in a beam of light that has no preferred direction of oscillation. Unlike polarized light, which only oscillates in one direction, unpolarized light has oscillations in all possible directions.

2. How is unpolarized light intensity measured?

Unpolarized light intensity is typically measured using a light intensity meter, also known as a photometer. The photometer is able to measure the total amount of light present in a beam, regardless of its polarization state.

3. What causes changes in unpolarized light intensity?

Changes in unpolarized light intensity can be caused by a variety of factors, such as changes in the distance or angle of the light source, changes in the material the light is passing through, or changes in the properties of the light itself.

4. How is unpolarized light intensity different from polarized light intensity?

The main difference between unpolarized and polarized light intensity is that unpolarized light has oscillations in all directions, while polarized light has oscillations in only one direction. This means that the intensity of unpolarized light is typically higher than polarized light, as there are more oscillations present.

5. How can unpolarized light intensity be controlled?

Unpolarized light intensity can be controlled by using materials that polarize light, such as polarizing filters. These filters allow only light with a certain polarization to pass through, thus reducing the intensity of unpolarized light. Additionally, the distance and angle of the light source can also be adjusted to control the intensity of unpolarized light.