I know I am doing this problem right but I keep getting the wrong answer

• Thread starter supermenscher
  • Start date
In summary, when solving problems, it is important to carefully read and understand the question, use the correct formulas and tools, and double-check your work. If you are still getting the wrong answer, consider approaching the problem from a different angle and seeking help from others. To improve problem-solving skills, practice regularly, seek feedback, and learn from mistakes.
supermenscher
2 parallel plates connected to a 95V power supply are separated by an air gap. How small can the gap be if the air is not to exceed its breakdown values of E=3e6 V/m.

I did E = V/d and I got that d = 3.17*10^7 and webassign keeps telling me that the answer is wrong. Could someone please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you're doing it right but you just miscalculated.

E<=V/d --> d <= V/E = 95/(3E6)

Your exponent is incorrect.

thanks so much :)

1. Why am I getting the wrong answer even though I think I am doing the problem correctly?

There could be various reasons for this. It is possible that you made a mistake in your calculations, misinterpreted the question, or used the wrong formula. It is also possible that there is an error in the data provided or in the problem itself. Double-check your work and make sure you understand all the steps involved in solving the problem.

2. How can I avoid making mistakes when solving problems?

One way to avoid making mistakes is to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. Make sure you have all the necessary information and use the correct formulas. It can also be helpful to double-check your work and use a calculator or other tools to assist you in your calculations.

3. Is it possible that I am missing a step in my problem-solving process?

Yes, it is possible that you may have overlooked a step in your problem-solving process. Make sure you are following all the necessary steps and not skipping any. It can also be helpful to write out all the steps involved in solving the problem to ensure you are not missing anything.

4. What should I do if I am still getting the wrong answer after double-checking my work?

If you are still getting the wrong answer, try approaching the problem from a different angle. Sometimes, it can be helpful to solve the problem in a different way or break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also seek help from a peer, teacher, or online resources for additional guidance.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice and persistence are key to improving problem-solving skills. As you continue to work on different problems, you will become more familiar with common formulas and strategies, making it easier to approach new problems. It can also be helpful to seek feedback from others and learn from your mistakes.