Potential Energy of Electric Charges

In summary, the conversation is about a physics student seeking clarification on a homework problem involving electrostatics. The student's teacher gave a strange explanation for a marked wrong answer and the student shares their solution attempt. The problem involves calculating the potential energy needed to move a +4nC charge from infinity to a point 15cm away from +8nC and +7nC charges arranged in an equilateral triangle. The student's solution involves finding the electric potential and then using it to calculate the electric potential energy. The teacher suggested using the force needed to set the charge in place multiplied by the distance it is displaced, but the student points out that the force is variable and the distance is infinity. The student is seeking input on the
adaschau2
Hello all, my reason for posting is to clarify a topic of electrostatics that I recently covered in physics. I turned in an assignment and my teacher marked an answer wrong and gave a strange explanation of how to solve it. Here is my attempt at the solution.

Homework Statement

A charge of +4nC is moved from infinity to a point 15cm from both a +8nC and +7nC charge (the result is an equilateral triangle). What is the potential energy needed to do this? q1=4nC q2=8nC q3=7nC r=0.15m k=8.99x10^9

Homework Equations

V=kq/r
EPE=qV

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated the electric potential at the point 0.15m away from both the 7nC and 8nC charge.
V=k(q2)/r+k(q3)/r=(8.99x10^9)/0.15 x (0.000000008+0.000000007)=+899 Volts

I then found the energy needed to place the 4nC charge 0.15m away from the other charges by finding the electric potential energy of a 4nC charge at that point.
EPE=(q1)(V)=(0.000000004)(899)=3.6x10^(-6) J

My teacher said something about multiplying the force needed to set the charge in place by the distance it is displaced, which would make sense except that the force is variable and the distance is infinity. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
"What is the potential energy needed" - was this the question really, not work needed instead? You are right, this work can be calculated from the change of electric potential multiplied by the charge.

Just a note: use the normal form of numbers instead of writing out nine zeros ...

ehild

ehild said:
"What is the potential energy needed" - was this the question really, not work needed instead?

ehild

No, she definitely wanted a numeric answer. This is actually an AP Physics B class, but our teacher really doesn't know what she is doing. I had to argue almost every question on a kinematics test once until she realized she had the wrong answer key for the problems. She has a PhD is something, but it's definitely not physics.

1. What is potential energy of electric charges?

The potential energy of electric charges is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is a measure of the work that the electric field can do on the charged particle.

2. How is potential energy of electric charges calculated?

The potential energy of electric charges can be calculated by multiplying the charge of the particle by the electric potential at its position. The formula is U = qV, where U is the potential energy, q is the charge, and V is the electric potential.

3. What is the unit of measurement for potential energy of electric charges?

The unit of measurement for potential energy of electric charges is joules (J). However, in some cases, it can also be expressed in electron volts (eV), which is a unit of energy commonly used in atomic and nuclear physics.

4. How does potential energy of electric charges affect the behavior of charged particles?

The potential energy of electric charges affects the behavior of charged particles by determining how they will move in an electric field. Charged particles will move from areas of high potential energy to areas of low potential energy, and the change in potential energy will determine the speed and direction of their movement.

5. What is the relationship between potential energy and electric potential?

Electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. In other words, it is a measure of how much potential energy a charged particle would have if placed at that point. Therefore, the relationship between potential energy and electric potential is that potential energy is directly proportional to electric potential.