Compression or Tensile on Fiberglass

In summary, the question is whether the compressive force applied by the aluminum piece on the fiberglass material will exceed the material's specification. The fiberglass has a tensile strength of 380 MPa in the warp direction and 300 MPa in the weft direction, with a fiber volume of 50%. The resin has a tensile strength of 30 MPa with a volume of 50%. Calculations for the bending stresses in the fiberglass are difficult without access to Roark's 'Stress and Strain' or finite element software. It is unclear if the formulas for metal plates can be applied to the composite structure in question.
n707jt

Homework Statement

A piece of aluminum as shown in the picture is applying a compressive force on the fiberglass material. I need to know if the loading material will exceed the specification of the fiberglass material.

sample.jpg

Homework Equations

Properties of fiberglass
Tensile strength Monolayer (Warp): 380 MPa
Tensile strength Monolayer (Weft): 300 MPa

Fiber Volume: 50%

Properties of resin
Tensile strength: 30 MPa

Volume: 50%

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is, since the loading structure is pressing against the fiberglass, the load will cause the fiberglass to be stretched inwards thus resulting in tension. Is this deduction reasonable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that an aluminum frame of sorts breing pressed upward against a fiberglass panel which is supported along its edges only? If so, the fiberglass bending streses are tensile on the outside fibers and compressive on the inside fibers, just like any plate subject to bending loads. Calculating those streses is quite difficult without a copy of Roarke's 'Stress and Strain' or computer finite element software.

Hi there,

I do have Roark's. But I am not so sure if it possible to apply those formulas meant for metal plates to my composite? I am quite lost actually. :(

Hi there,

I've included a picture of my loading condition. I've realized Roark does not provide any flat plate condition similar to that of my problem but I was wondering if it is possible to use Case no 8 in page 508 of Roark's?

I plan to take the outer dimension minus the inner dimension. Please advise as I am extremely new to structural engineering and I would gladly appreciate if someone could help me.

Thanks!

Yes, your deduction is reasonable. When a compressive force is applied to a material, it causes the material to experience tensile stresses internally. In the case of fiberglass, the loading material pressing against it will cause the fiberglass to stretch inwards, resulting in tension within the material. This tension must be taken into consideration when determining if the loading material will exceed the specifications of the fiberglass material. Additionally, the properties of the fiberglass and resin must also be considered, such as their respective tensile strengths and volume percentages. By comparing these properties, you can determine if the loading material will exceed the specifications of the fiberglass material.

What is compression and tensile on fiberglass?

Compression and tensile are two opposite forces that can act on a fiberglass material. Compression is a force that pushes or squeezes the material, while tensile is a force that pulls or stretches the material.

How does compression affect fiberglass?

Compression can cause the fiberglass material to shorten in length and expand in width. This can result in the material being compressed and potentially losing its shape or strength.

What are the effects of tensile on fiberglass?

Tensile can cause the fiberglass material to elongate in length and contract in width. This can result in the material being stretched and potentially causing cracks or breaks.

Which force is more damaging to fiberglass?

Both compression and tensile can be damaging to fiberglass, but it ultimately depends on the specific material and its intended use. Some materials are designed to withstand more compression or tensile forces than others.

How can I test the compression and tensile strength of fiberglass?

There are various testing methods to determine the compression and tensile strength of fiberglass, including using specialized equipment such as a universal testing machine. It is important to follow proper testing procedures and consult with experts in the field for accurate results.