Transcendental Values for sin(Q*pi)

• Thread starter marschmellow
  • Start date
In summary, Simple question that for some reason I can't reason myself through. I'm probably going to be mad at myself when someone provides me with the insight needed to solve this and I didn't find it on my own, but anyway, here goes: If sin(Q*pi)=A, where Q is rational, can any values of A be transcendental? Multiple angle formula. Or complex exponential, I suppose.
marschmellow
Simple question that for some reason I can't reason myself through. I'm probably going to be mad at myself when someone provides me with the insight needed to solve this and I didn't find it on my own, but anyway, here goes:

If sin(Q*pi)=A, where Q is rational, can any values of A be transcendental?

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiple angle formula. Or complex exponential, I suppose.

Thanks for the help, but that only covers integer values of Q, I think. If Q is restricted to integers then sin(Q*pi)=0.

if [itex]\sin{Q \pi} = x[/itex], where Q is rational, by the virtue of the multiple angle formula, there is a polynomial P(x,y) with integer coefficients such that [itex]P(\sin{Q \pi}, \cos{Q \pi}) = P(x, \sqrt{1-x^2}) = 0[/itex].

Furthermore, [itex]P(x, \sqrt{1-x^2}) = R(x) + S(x) \sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] for some integer polynomials R and S.

Therefore there is an integer polynomial [itex]R(x)^2 - S(x)^2(1-x^2) = 0[/itex] that has x as its root.

Therefore x is not transcendental.

I can't say I completely followed that, but I believe you, and I'm honestly more interested in the answer than an explanation, however weird that is for math questions.

Do you remember the definition of "transcendental"? Can you write down formulas for sin(2x) and sin(3x) and take it from there?

Let [itex]A = \sin(\pi a/b)[/itex], where [itex]a,b[/itex] are integers. Then [itex]p(A) = \sin(\pi a) = 0[/itex] for some polynomial [itex]p[/itex] with rational coefficients, by using an appropriate multiple angle formula. Since [itex]A[/itex] is the root of a polynomial with rational coefficients, it is not transcendental.edit: I've spent some time thinking about it (read: sleep), and have come up with a nicer solution. Observe that [itex]A = \sin(\pi a/b) = (x + \bar x)/2i[/itex], where [itex]x = e^{i\pi a/b}[/itex]. Now [itex]x^{2b} - 1 = 0[/itex], proving that [itex]x[/itex] is algebraic, and thus so is [itex]A[/itex].

Last edited:
adriank said:
Let [itex]A = \sin(\pi a/b)[/itex], where [itex]a,b[/itex] are integers. Then [itex]p(A) = \sin(\pi a) = 0[/itex] for some polynomial [itex]p[/itex] with rational coefficients, by using an appropriate multiple angle formula. Since [itex]A[/itex] is the root of a polynomial with rational coefficients, it is not transcendental.edit: I've spent some time thinking about it (read: sleep), and have come up with a nicer solution. Observe that [itex]A = \sin(\pi a/b) = (x + \bar x)/2i[/itex], where [itex]x = e^{i\pi a/b}[/itex]. Now [itex]x^{2b} - 1 = 0[/itex], proving that [itex]x[/itex] is algebraic, and thus so is [itex]A[/itex].
Wow, thanks a lot. That explanation makes sense, but I couldn't have thought of it on my own, so I'm glad I have no regrets for asking for help.

What are transcendental values?

Transcendental values are values that are not able to be expressed as a finite expression or a ratio of two integers. They are often associated with mathematical constants such as pi and e.

What is sin(Q*pi)?

Sin(Q*pi) is a mathematical function that calculates the sine of an angle (Q) multiplied by the value of pi. It is often used in trigonometry and has applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

Why is it important to understand transcendental values for sin(Q*pi)?

Understanding transcendental values for sin(Q*pi) can help us better understand the complex relationships between mathematical constants and functions. It also has practical applications in fields such as signal processing, where the sine function is used to analyze and manipulate signals.

How are transcendental values for sin(Q*pi) calculated?

Transcendental values for sin(Q*pi) are typically calculated using mathematical formulas or algorithms. These calculations involve representing the value of pi as a decimal or a series of decimals, and then applying various mathematical operations to calculate the sine of the given angle (Q).

What other transcendental values should I be aware of?

In addition to sin(Q*pi), there are several other important transcendental values, including the natural logarithm of 2 (ln 2), the golden ratio (φ), and the Euler–Mascheroni constant (γ). These values have various applications in mathematics, physics, and other fields.