Accelerometer to Frequency and Amplitude

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of accelerometer data from an iPhone to calculate displacement and then determine the frequency, average amplitude, and highest amplitude. The speaker mentions wanting to understand the math behind Excel's frequency function and suggests using the Data Analysis package for a statistical summary and histogram if needed. They also recommend seeking an introduction to statistics for a better understanding of the concepts involved.
rd42
I have a spreadsheet of Accelerometer data out of an iPhone and I have calculated the displacement in the three axis. I would like to figure out how to take this info and calculate the frequency, avg. amplitude, and the highest amplitude. Excel has a frequency function but I would like to understand that math, so I could make the phone calculate this.

Thank you for any help.

Don't worry, this isn't home work, I'm an old f*rt.

Attachments

• AmpFreq.xls
    68.3 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
Couldn't open your file with my old Y2K Excel, but I looked at the FREQUENCY function in the help and I think that it is a sort of histogram. I first though it might be an FFT thing, but it looks like it just counts the number of times each specific value or range appears in the input data set.

There was (maybe still a separate package) an Excel "Data Analysis" package that had a statistical summary function. It calculates max, min, mean, median and such for a data set. That package also had a regular histogram where you can bin your data and count how many of each. If you don't know what all those m'words are, have a look at a stat's introduction, probably wiki is a good place to start.

If those functions are what you want, then rolling your own is mostly an exercise in iterating through the set and summing/counting the various values.

1. What is an accelerometer?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures the acceleration of an object or system. It can detect changes in motion, tilt, and vibration.

2. How does an accelerometer measure frequency and amplitude?

An accelerometer converts acceleration into an electrical signal, which is then analyzed to determine the frequency and amplitude of the movement.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration, frequency, and amplitude?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, frequency is the number of complete cycles of motion per unit time, and amplitude is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. They are all related to the movement of an object or system, with acceleration affecting the frequency and amplitude of the motion.

4. How is an accelerometer used in scientific research?

Accelerometers are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics, to measure and analyze the motion and vibrations of objects and systems. They can provide valuable data for understanding and predicting the behavior of various phenomena.

5. What are some real-world applications of accelerometer-based frequency and amplitude measurements?

Accelerometer-based frequency and amplitude measurements have many practical applications, including monitoring vibrations in buildings and bridges, analyzing the movement of vehicles and aircraft, tracking the motion of athletes and sports equipment, and detecting earthquakes and other natural disasters.