Can you clarify the question?What is the meaning of independent in this context?

In summary, the authors claim that the Hamiltonian generating function of a canonical transformation is of type 1, but I'm not sure how they're using the term 'independent'. They also say that to find the generating function, you first need to solve for p and P in terms of q and Q, and then integrate the partial differential equations to get finally f.
homology
I'm working my way through Jose and Saletan's mechanics text and I'm at the end of chapter 5 which introduces Hamiltonian dynamics. I've just finished reading about 'types' of generating functions.

They work through an example (5.5) with the following transformation

[tex]
Q=\frac{m\omega q +ip}{\sqrt{2m\omega}},\mbox{ } P=i\frac{m\omega q - ip}{\sqrt{2m\omega}}
[/tex]

for the Hamiltonian [tex]H=0.5m\omega^2 q^2+p^2/2m[/tex] (yeah this whole thing looks like quantum, but we're classical here).

They claim that its generating function is of Type 1, meaning that q and Q are independent of one another. However I'm bit perplexed on how the authors are using 'independent' in this context. Choosing a value for q seems to greatly restrict values for Q so they don't seem independent.

Can anyone clarify this matter? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have the book, but I think what he means is, you *may* use a type 1 generating function, F1(q, Q). If q and Q were uniquely related, Q = f(q), you couldn't do this. Instead you have Q = f(q, p). Given q, you don't know what Q is (without also specifying p) so in that sense they're independent.

That was my first thought, but since Q is complex, choosing q amounts to restricting Q along a vertical line in the complex plane.

If you generating function of the canonical transformation is [tex]f(q,Q)[/tex] then

[tex]p=\frac{\partial f}{\partial q}, \quad P=-\frac{\partial f}{\partial Q}[/tex].

To find [tex]f[/tex] for the given transformation (why one should do this is, however, another question, since you have the transformation already in explicit form); to see whether it's really canonical you only need to prove the canonical Poisson-bracket relations for the new variables), you first need to solve for [tex]p[/tex] and [tex]P[/tex] in terms of [tex]q[/tex] and [tex]Q[/tex], and then integrate the partial differential equations to get finally [tex]f[/tex].

that's true but not what I asked :)

Then I don't understand your question. Since the mapping [tex](q,p) \mapsto (Q,P)[/tex] is one-to-one, any pair of variables can be chosen as to be "the independent variables".

So, in particular, for the mapping I posted, how does this work? q and Q don't look independent. Could you be more explicit? Choosing q restricts Q, they are not independent, so it seems to me.

You just take the two equations, defining the transformation and solve for [tex]p[/tex] and [tex]P[/tex] in terms of [tex]q[/tex] and [tex]Q[/tex]. This is uniquely possible, and thus you can take [tex]q[/tex] and [tex]Q[/tex] as independent variables. The result reads

[tex]p=\mathrm{i} (m \omega q-\sqrt{2 m \omega} Q),
\quad P=\mathrm{i}(\sqrt{2 m \omega} q-Q)[/tex].

Solving the set of partial-differential equations for [tex]f[/tex], given by the generator equations, leads to

[tex]f(q,Q)=\frac{\mathrm{i}}{2} (m \omega q^2-2 \sqrt{2 m \omega} q Q+Q^2)[/tex].

For a canonical transformation,

[tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = P \dot{Q} - \mathcal{H}(P,Q) - \left( p\dot{q} - H(p,q) \right). ~~(*) [/tex]

If we compute the RHS of this transformation, it will be of the form

[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial S} \dot{S} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial s} \dot{s},[/tex]

where [tex]S[/tex] is either of [tex]Q,P[/tex] and [tex]s[/tex] is either of [tex]q,p[/tex]. The pair [tex]s,S[/tex] are what we call the independent variables. To determine the type of transformation we're dealing with, we need to actually compute the RHS of (*).

Thanks for your responses so far, but how am I to tell by looking at it. The initial transformation doesn't look like q and Q are independent.

Also, what about the fact that, at least initially, it looks like the choice of q restricts the choice of Q?

But again, thanks for the responses so far. I'm still just trying to get a grip on what 'independent' means here.

For this system and transformation, you can explicitly compute that

[tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = p \dot{q} - P \dot{Q} .[/tex]

We infer from this that [tex]F=F(q,Q)[/tex] with [tex]q[/tex] and [tex]Q[/tex] treated as independent variables, otherwise [tex]\partial Q/\partial q\neq 0[/tex] would mean that either [tex]\dot{q} [/tex] or [tex]\dot{Q} [/tex] would not appear in the total derivative above.

fzero said:
For this system and transformation, you can explicitly compute that

[tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = p \dot{q} - P \dot{Q} .[/tex]

We infer from this that [tex]F=F(q,Q)[/tex] with [tex]q[/tex] and [tex]Q[/tex] treated as independent variables, otherwise [tex]\partial Q/\partial q\neq 0[/tex] would mean that either [tex]\dot{q} [/tex] or [tex]\dot{Q} [/tex] would not appear in the total derivative above.

Okay I think I see where you're going with this. I've been focusing on the transformation where [tex]\partial Q/\partial q \neq 0[/tex] which throws me as it seems to indicate an explicit dependency on one another.

1. What are canonical transformations?

Canonical transformations are mathematical transformations that preserve the canonical form of the Hamiltonian equations, which describe the evolution of a physical system in terms of its position and momentum. These transformations are important in classical mechanics and are used to simplify and analyze complex systems.

2. What is the purpose of canonical transformations?

The purpose of canonical transformations is to simplify the equations of motion for a physical system by transforming the coordinates and momenta in a way that preserves the Hamiltonian structure. This allows for easier analysis and insight into the behavior of the system.

3. How do canonical transformations relate to symmetries?

Canonical transformations are closely related to symmetries in physics. In fact, every symmetry of the Hamiltonian leads to a corresponding canonical transformation. This means that canonical transformations can help us understand and classify symmetries in physical systems.

4. What are the two types of canonical transformations?

The two types of canonical transformations are point transformations and generating function transformations. Point transformations are defined by explicit equations between the old and new coordinates and momenta, while generating function transformations are defined by a set of differential equations.

5. How are canonical transformations applied in practical applications?

Canonical transformations have many practical applications in physics, such as in celestial mechanics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. They are used to simplify and analyze complex systems, identify symmetries, and find conserved quantities. They are also important in the development of new theories and models in physics.