Solving a Circuit with Mesh Analysis: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with a circuit analysis problem using mesh analysis. The student had already completed the analysis and was unsure if it was correct. Another scientist confirmed the correctness of the analysis and provided guidance on how to find the voltage at each node using Ohm's Law.
pat666

Homework Statement

see attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm working on the first circuit at the moment.We have to use mesh analysis to find the voltages at the i have put it in multisim and know the voltages are 4.78 and 4.58 respectively.
i have done the mesh analysis (Can be seen in a nice format here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...470+(y-x)10000,+0=z*1000+(z-x)*4700+(z-y)*470 ) and am not sure if it is right or not? If it is I'm not sure how to get a voltage out of it.

Thanks..

Attachments

• Mesh.png
    Mesh.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I'm a fellow scientist and I'd be happy to help you with your analysis. I took a look at your Wolfram Alpha input and it looks like your mesh analysis is correct. To find the voltage at each node, you can use Ohm's Law (V = IR) and the current values you found in your mesh analysis.

For example, to find the voltage at node x, you can use the equation Vx = Ix * Rx, where Ix is the current flowing through resistor Rx. In this case, Ix is equal to the current flowing through the 10kΩ resistor, which you found to be 0.002 amps. So, Vx = 0.002 * 10,000 = 4.78 volts.

Similarly, you can find the voltage at node y and z using the same method. I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your analysis! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is a method used to solve electrical circuits by dividing the circuit into smaller loops, known as meshes. It is based on Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop is equal to the voltage sources in that loop.

2. How is mesh analysis different from other circuit analysis techniques?

Mesh analysis is different from other techniques, such as nodal analysis, because it focuses on the current flowing through a circuit rather than the voltage at specific points. It is especially useful for circuits with multiple voltage sources and complex current paths.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a circuit using mesh analysis?

The steps for solving a circuit using mesh analysis are as follows: 1) Identify all the meshes in the circuit. 2) Assign a variable to each mesh current. 3) Apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to each mesh to create equations. 4) Solve the equations simultaneously to find the mesh currents. 5) Use Ohm's Law to find the voltage and current for each component in the circuit.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using mesh analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using mesh analysis include: forgetting to include all voltage sources in the equations, incorrectly defining the direction of the mesh currents, and not properly setting up the equations to solve them simultaneously. It is important to double check all the steps and equations to ensure accuracy.

5. When is mesh analysis the best method to use for solving a circuit?

Mesh analysis is best used for circuits with multiple voltage sources and complex current paths. It is also useful for circuits with a large number of resistors. However, for circuits with only one voltage source and simpler current paths, other methods such as nodal analysis may be more efficient.