Factors that effect sound waves in water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons why sound waves emitted into ocean water may sometimes fail to give accurate results. The participants mention factors such as salt density and varying water temperatures that may affect the accuracy of the sound waves. They also suggest that regions with different densities may deflect the sound waves, potentially leading to inaccurate results. However, they admit to not fully understanding these concepts and ask for further explanation.
Josh03
1. For this question, I need to explain why sound waves emitted into ocean water sometimes fail to give accurate results.
2.I have thought about, the salt density and the waves traveling through different water temperatures, but need to expand on these two ideas and don't understand it enough to do so. If anyone could explain these ideas a little more, I would be very grateful. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think regions of differing densities might deflect the sound (refraction) off course. You might have a layer of fresher or warmer water, or a channel of such where it emerges from under the sea, or a river emptying into the ocean. Just guessing.

1. What is the speed of sound in water?

The speed of sound in water is approximately 1,500 meters per second, which is about four times faster than in air.

2. How does temperature affect sound waves in water?

As temperature increases, the speed of sound in water also increases. This is because warmer water molecules have more energy, allowing them to vibrate faster and transmit sound waves more quickly.

3. What role does salinity play in sound waves in water?

Salinity, or the concentration of salt in water, has a minor effect on the speed of sound. Water with higher salinity tends to have a slightly faster speed of sound compared to water with lower salinity.

4. How does depth impact sound waves in water?

The deeper the water, the faster sound waves travel. This is because the pressure of the water increases with depth, making the water more dense and allowing sound waves to travel more quickly.

5. Why does sound travel farther in water compared to air?

Sound waves travel much farther in water than in air because water is denser and can transmit sound more efficiently. This is why marine animals use sound for communication over long distances.