What is the MOST INTERESTING area of study?

In summary, the conversation is about choosing a major for university and the person is looking for something unique and different. They ask for recommendations from others and mention theoretical physics, artificial intelligence, biochemistry, and microbiology. One person shares their passion for math and physics, while another shares their experience with a unique field but also mentions the importance of considering job opportunities in that field. The conversation ends with someone suggesting mathematics as the most interesting major.
bublik13
I'm in the point of my life where I am about to be applying for universities. I'm completely unsure of what I want to do with my life, and I'm in a worrying frenzy.

Now, the ever-so-controversial question: What is the most interesting, unique and fascinating major?

I know it depends for each person, but I want to study something out of the ordinary. I don't want to have the same job as many other people do, but something unique.

Theoretical physics, artificial intelligence, biochemistry, microbiology...
What do you guys find most interesting and rewarding?

All help and all answers would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should rephrase the question to something like: "What do you find most interesting about the work that you do?"

In my experience 'interest' doesn't subscribe to any absolute scale. Sure there are some subjects that may sound more appealing to a general audience, but one thing I've found is that the more I learn about my own field, the more interesting I find it.

We find our own field interesting and rewarding, otherwise we wouldn't have chosen it.

I like math because I like to understand why things are true, especially in a visual way. Things that were previously incomprehensible or completely non-obvious become obvious when viewed in just the right way. I like physics for the same reasons, in addition to the surprises about the way the universe works.

bublik13 said:
I know it depends for each person, but I want to study something out of the ordinary. I don't want to have the same job as many other people do, but something unique.

I did a biology BSc and then went on to do a nanotechnology and regenerative medicine MSc. The latter was very interesting and unique and I loved it. However the biggest problem I have at the moment is that in the current economic situation the funding for things like regenerative medicine and other high tech, blue-sky fields of science has all but vanished. So whilst it is important that you do what you like and it is great to do something that really pushes the boundaries please pay a lot of attention to how easy it is to get a job in that field. Believe me it's no fun when your studies are over and you're struggling to even get a minimum wage job in a vaguely related field.

Obviously the most interesting is mathematics :biggrin:

1. What is the MOST INTERESTING area of study?

The most interesting area of study is subjective and varies from person to person. However, some of the most popular and fascinating fields of study include astronomy, neuroscience, genetics, artificial intelligence, and environmental science.

2. Why is astronomy considered the MOST INTERESTING area of study?

Astronomy is often considered the most interesting area of study because it allows us to explore and understand the vastness of the universe. It involves studying celestial objects such as planets, stars, galaxies, and black holes, and has made groundbreaking discoveries about our place in the universe.

3. What makes neuroscience the MOST INTERESTING area of study?

Neuroscience is the study of the nervous system and how it affects our behavior, thoughts, and emotions. It is a rapidly advancing field that has the potential to greatly improve our understanding of the brain and how it functions. It also has implications for treating neurological disorders and improving mental health.

4. How does genetics qualify as the MOST INTERESTING area of study?

Genetics is the study of heredity and how traits are passed down from parents to offspring. It has significantly impacted our understanding of evolution, disease, and human behavior. With the advancements in genetic technology, it has become an even more exciting and relevant area of study.

5. In what ways is artificial intelligence the MOST INTERESTING area of study?

Artificial intelligence (AI) is a rapidly growing field that involves creating intelligent machines that can think and act like humans. It has the potential to revolutionize industries such as healthcare, transportation, and communication. The ethical and societal implications of AI also make it a fascinating area of study.