Testing to see if an Equation is a function

In summary, the main question is why can x be squared but not y when testing for a function, and the answer is that it depends on which variable is being tested. x can be squared because it can be mapped to the same value of y, but y cannot be squared because it would result in two values of y for the same value of x. The x and y in the equations represent the domain and range of a function. The difference between f(x) and y is that f(x) is a specific name for the function while y is just a variable.
Newtons Apple
hey guys. Something's been bothering me.. Well two things..

First of all, when looking at an algebraic equation and testing to see if its a function, why can X be squared, but not Y? our professor and book, gives the impression that something like:

x^2 +y =1 is a function

while..

-x +y^2 = 1 is NOT a function

Why is this? I know that in a function, the domain can't be linked to two or more elements in the range.. is that what the second equation is saying? Is the x and y in these equations representations of the domain and range of a function?

My 2nd main question is, what is the difference in saying
f(x) = 1-x^2 and saying y = 1-x^2?

Are they both the same thing? Why does y = f(x) anyway? I thought that f(x) was just the name of the function being presented, but then I saw my professor draw a graph, with the 'Y' letter on the yaxis replaced by the f(x) notation and was severely confused!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
x^2 + y = 1 and x + y^2 = 1 ARE both functions, but not in the same variable. We call the first equation a function in y, and the second equation a function in x. Namely, for an equation to satisfy being a function in some variable, it has to be single-valued along that entire variable.

If you look at the graph of [tex] -x+y^2 = 1 [/tex] you will see that it is just a parabola resting on the y-axis, but shifted one unit down (or left, it has its vertical axis of symmetry as the x-axis). As you had mentioned in a slightly different way, a function is a rule that assigns only one value to any value of the domain (but not necessarily the other way around, a function may have several values in the domain for a value in the range).

You can visually test for a function by graphing it and using the vertical line test, that is, if at any point you can draw a vertical line and intersect more than one point to the curve, then it is not a function. As with [tex] -x+y^2 = 1 [/tex] , you can draw several vertical lines and intersect the parabola twice. However, [tex] x^2+y=1 [/tex] is a function because it can be re-arranged to [tex] y = 1- x^2 [/tex] which is just a regular parabola on resting on the x-axis, but opening downwards in negative y. So they technically are both functions, but in different variables. [tex]-x+y^2 = 1 [/tex] is a function in the variable y, but not in x.

Also, I want to address this : "why can X be squared, but not Y?". This is kind of a misconception. Take the equation of a circle with radius 1 centered at the origin:

[tex] x^2+y^2 = 1 [/tex] , now solve for y and take the square root to get:

[tex] y = ±√(1-x^2) [/tex]

Each part of the circle can now be a function as they pass the vertical line test (independently). The first equation that I posted was not a function, but the second ones are functions on their own. Strictly speaking, an equation of the form f(x)=something and y=something are not the same things. A function is a set that maps some elements of the domain to some elements of the range (loosely speaking). An equation just asserts equality about two things but doesn't necessarily map in the same way.

Newtons Apple said:
hey guys. Something's been bothering me.. Well two things..

First of all, when looking at an algebraic equation and testing to see if its a function, why can X be squared, but not Y? our professor and book, gives the impression that something like:

x^2 +y =1 is a function

while..

-x +y^2 = 1 is NOT a function

Why is this? I know that in a function, the domain can't be linked to two or more elements in the range.. is that what the second equation is saying? Is the x and y in these equations representations of the domain and range of a function?

Yes. Think of it this way. When you square x, then both x and -x get sent to the same value of y. So a horizontal line will hit the graph in two points. But that's ok, it's still a function.

But if we square the y values, then two values of y will correspond to the same x. Then a vertical line will hit the graph in two places -- and therefore it can't be a function of x.

But as someone pointed out, it just depends on your point of view. If you want to express x as a function of y, you just imagine the graph rotated a quarter turn. Then vertical lines become horizontal and vice versa.

Last edited:
Hey Newtowns Apple.

The easiest way to do this graphically is to do a vertical line test in the plane of your variable that you are testing.

So if its with respect to y then you check whether any line parrallel to the y-axis goes through your equation more than once. If it does its not a function in y.

Apply the same thing to other variables if need be.

What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It usually contains variables, constants, and mathematical operations.

What is a function?

A function is a special type of equation in which every input value (x) has exactly one output value (y). In other words, for each value of x, there is only one corresponding value of y.

How do you test if an equation is a function?

To test if an equation is a function, you can use the vertical line test. Draw a vertical line on a graph and see if it intersects the graph at more than one point. If it does, then the equation is not a function. If the vertical line only intersects the graph at one point, then the equation is a function.

What is the difference between an equation and a function?

The main difference between an equation and a function is that an equation is a mathematical statement, while a function is a special type of equation that follows the rule of having only one output for every input.

Can an equation have multiple solutions and still be considered a function?

Yes, an equation can have multiple solutions and still be considered a function as long as each input value has only one corresponding output value. This means that the equation can have different solutions for different inputs, but there cannot be more than one output value for a single input value.