Did Arthur C. Clarke Have Any Scuba Diving Adventures in Sri Lanka?

• Thread starter tumor
  • Start date
In summary, Arthur C. Clarke did have scuba diving adventures in Sri Lanka. He was an avid scuba diver and often explored the waters off the coast of Sri Lanka, where he lived for many years. He wrote about his experiences in his book "The Reefs of Taprobane" and was a strong advocate for marine conservation. Clarke's love for scuba diving and the ocean is reflected in his writing and his contributions to the preservation of Sri Lanka's marine life.
tumor
You guys know what happened to A.C Clarke, he used to live in Sri Lanka in a big house right on the beach? east or west coast of Sri Lanka don't really know.
I remember also he was very fond of scuba diving, OOPS! :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
Since he last let the world hear from him was on Jan 1, 2000, that's sufficient proof he was swept away by a tsunami some time later.

Or what?

Jan 1 2000? Didn't "Time's Eye" come out after that?

I'm pretty sure he consulted on a recent (awful) sci-fi movie. "The Core" perhaps?

He really has sunk low if he actually did consulting work on "The Core".

I'm deeply shocked by this, I've always respected Clarke, but if he really did such a crime, he deserves to be TSUNAMIED! :grumpy:

Hey ! Arlindo ! everyone needs money.
If he were to be scubadiving during that wave coming on shore would he be safe there underwater?

Eeh, since the tsunami essentially propagates along the sea bottom at immense velocity, and suddenly rears its monstrous head when reaching shallow waters, it wouldn't help you a lot to be at the bottom of the ocean.

I think you are wrong, my guess is that underwater one will hardly notice any big disturbance.

Not if the water you're in happens to be lifted with an incredible force so strong that it doesn't matter if you can swim or not and you're either crashed into something solid or dragged out to sea unless you can grab ahold of something first...

I am concerned about Clarke. The last time that I saw him he looked quite old and frail. If he is caught in the middle of this, if he survived, it could be a real nightmare for him right now. Of course, knowing Clarke, he probably planned for such an event.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Eeh, since the tsunami essentially propagates along the sea bottom at immense velocity, and suddenly rears its monstrous head when reaching shallow waters, it wouldn't help you a lot to be at the bottom of the ocean.

I reckon it would help a bit. Its damn hard to drown when wearing an air tank and breathing apperatus.

Cool! thanks Evo.

arildno said:

I'm deeply shocked by this, I've always respected Clarke, but if he really did such a crime, he deserves to be TSUNAMIED! :grumpy:
Well, a quick search of IMDB.com shows nothing, so maybe I heard wrong. :confused:

Thanks, Evo, for the link.

And, since Clarke doesn't appear to have worked with the awful "The Core", I can sigh in relief that he actually did survive..

To end my rather inappropriate jesting; it is a truly awful tragedy, and Clarke seems (from the link) to be in a personal nightmare where several employees&friends are still unaccounted for.

arildno said:

My respect for Clark took a sharp downturn when I heard about the pedophilia accusations. But I don't think they were ever substantiated (were they?), so right now, my opinion of him is being held in abeyance. Were the charges shown to be baseless ?

arildno said:

Not True! Apparently someone was scuba diving while it happened. check it out:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/29/tsunami.diver/index.html

I heard that in Thailand hundreds of scuba divers got crushed against rocks, cliffs and coral. Didnt help them much.

If you're diving in reasonably deep water, nothing much will happen to you. The amplitude of the compression wave is not sufficient to hurt you, especially if you're far from the hypocenter. But the density variation resulting from this could push you up or down.

If you are diving in shallow waters near the shore, you will feel momentum transfer from the current-like effects of the lateral movement of water over land. (too many prepositions ?). This would feel a little like trying to scuba dive under fast-moving rapids.

Last edited:

1. Who is Arthur C. Clarke and what is his connection to Sri Lanka?

Arthur C. Clarke was a British science fiction writer and inventor who lived in Sri Lanka for over 50 years. He is best known for his novel "2001: A Space Odyssey," as well as numerous other works that explore the intersection of science and humanity.

2. When did Arthur C. Clarke move to Sri Lanka?

Arthur C. Clarke moved to Sri Lanka in 1956, after falling in love with the island during a scuba diving trip. He lived there until his death in 2008.

3. Did Arthur C. Clarke have any impact on Sri Lanka?

Yes, Arthur C. Clarke had a significant impact on Sri Lanka. He helped develop the country's first telecommunications satellite, which was named "Clarke Belt" in his honor. He also promoted the use of renewable energy and advocated for the protection of Sri Lanka's coral reefs.

4. Did Arthur C. Clarke write any books about Sri Lanka?

Yes, Arthur C. Clarke wrote several books about Sri Lanka, including "The Fountains of Paradise" and "The Last Lion." These books often featured Sri Lanka's landscape and culture as important elements of the story.

5. Is there a museum or memorial dedicated to Arthur C. Clarke in Sri Lanka?

Yes, there is a museum dedicated to Arthur C. Clarke in Sri Lanka. The Arthur C. Clarke Centre for Modern Technologies is located in Colombo and showcases his work as a writer, inventor, and futurist. There is also a memorial statue of Clarke in the capital city.