Generator speed to create electricity calculation?

In summary, Kyle is new to electricity and needs help creating an electricity generator using an electric motor and a wind turbine to charge a 12v battery. They are looking for information on how to calculate the power output of the motor at a certain speed and are searching for DIY resources.
greenwater
Hi, I am new to things involving electricity and electricity generation, and I have a question that I can't find an answer to and I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me.

I would like to perform an experiment but I need some help before buying the items needed. I would like to create an electricity generator using an electric motor with a wind turbine attached. I know only the very basics of AC and DC power. I would like to create DC power to charge a 12v battery(car battery).

Is there a way to tell how much power a certain DC motor will make with the turbine spinning at a certain speed.

Turbine spinning at ?rpms = ?volts and ?amps

What do I need to know about the dc motor before this calculation is possible?

Is there a reference that can help me out somewhere?

Thanks for the help,
-Kyle

Engineering news on Phys.org
At 100% efficiency, the motor can only make power that the turbine produces. In real life the efficiency is less than 100%.

So first step is to forget the motor for the moment and focus on the wind turbine.

A search for DIY wind generator finds very many hits. Perhaps this one will give you ideas.
https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-1000-watt-wind-turbine/

What is the formula for calculating generator speed to create electricity?

The formula for calculating generator speed to create electricity is: Generator Speed (RPM) = (120 * Frequency (Hz)) / Number of Poles

What is the frequency of the electricity produced by a generator?

The frequency of the electricity produced by a generator is dependent on the speed of the generator. The faster the generator spins, the higher the frequency of the electricity produced.

How many poles are typically found in a generator?

The number of poles in a generator can vary, but most commonly they are found in either 2-pole or 4-pole configurations.

How does changing the generator speed affect the electricity produced?

Changing the generator speed will directly affect the frequency of the electricity produced. A higher speed will result in a higher frequency, while a lower speed will result in a lower frequency.

What is the role of the number of poles in the calculation of generator speed for creating electricity?

The number of poles in a generator is a crucial factor in the calculation of generator speed for creating electricity. It determines the speed at which the generator must rotate in order to produce electricity at a desired frequency.