Thermometer stem correction with pressure

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a physics lab report in which they need to make a correction to the temperature read in the laboratory. They are struggling to find a solution, as the lab did not explain the concept and the book is missing important chapters. They request additional information, such as a description of the thermometer or a scan of the lab procedure.
AlexLM
Hi everyone,

So I'm a bit stuck in my physics lab report. I have to make a correction to the temperature read in the laboratory (ex:155.2C) because our room pressure was 742.1mmHg and not 760mmHg I'm guessing. I've tried researching this for a while now but I can't seem to find an easy answer or remember what to do. They didn't explain it in the lab and told us to refer to the book, ends up there was a mistake in the printing and we're missing a bunch of chapters including the one explaining this concept.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
More information would not hurt. Maybe a description of the thermometer or picture. Maybe a scan of the lab procedure.

1. What is thermometer stem correction with pressure?

Thermometer stem correction with pressure is a method used in scientific experiments to account for the density and pressure of the surrounding air when measuring temperature. This correction helps to ensure accurate temperature readings.

2. Why is thermometer stem correction with pressure necessary?

Temperature readings can be affected by changes in air pressure and density, which can cause the thermometer's reading to be inaccurate. Thermometer stem correction with pressure helps to adjust for these factors and provide more precise measurements.

3. How is thermometer stem correction with pressure calculated?

The correction factor is calculated using the ideal gas law, which takes into account the volume, pressure, and temperature of the surrounding air. This factor is then applied to the temperature reading to adjust for any changes in pressure and density.

4. When should thermometer stem correction with pressure be used?

This correction method should be used whenever the surrounding air pressure and density are significantly different from standard conditions, such as in high altitude or low pressure environments. It is also important to use this correction when conducting precise experiments that require accurate temperature measurements.

5. Are there any limitations to thermometer stem correction with pressure?

While this correction method is effective in accounting for changes in pressure and density, it does not account for other factors that may affect temperature readings, such as radiation or heat transfer. It is important to consider all potential sources of error when using thermometer stem correction with pressure.