Addition of Sine & Cosine

In summary, the given expression 3sin(ωt) + 2cos(ωt) can be expressed in the form Rsin(ωt + α) with R = √13 and α = 0.6 rad or 33.7°. This can be derived using the equations R = √a2+b2 and α = arctan(b/a). The frequency of the resultant function is the same as the original expressions, as they all have the same period T = 2∏/ω. Additionally, the same result can be obtained using the double and compound angle formula, showing that the frequency remains unchanged.
fonz

Homework Statement

Express 3sin(ωt) + 2cos(ωt) in the form Rsin(ωt + α)

AND

verify the resultant function is the same frequency as 3sin(ωt) and 2cos(ωt)

Homework Equations

R = √a2+b2
α = arctan(b/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt using the equations above produces the answer R = √13 and α = 0.6 rad or 33.7°

My argument for the solution being the same frequency is that the period T = 2∏/ω in each case therefore f = 1/T = ω/2∏

I have my doubts about this solution because I believe the marks are awarded for a solution involving the double and compound angle formula (I can't see how this is necessary).

Also, is the statement regarding frequency comprehensive enough or is there a better way of presenting the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to go from the first form to the second form other than by plugging numbers into the two formulas?

vela said:
Do you know how to go from the first form to the second form other than by plugging numbers into the two formulas?

R is the hypotenuse of the right angle triangle with base a and height b. Therefore R2 = a2 + b2 (pythagoras).

the angle can be solved by finding the arctan of b/a (basic trig).

This is not the question though?

EDIT: Solution with compound angle formula

√13sin(ωt+0.6) = √13(sin(ωt)cos(0.6) + cos(ωt)sin(0.6))

= √13(0.83sin(ωt) + 0.56cos(ωt))

= 3sin(ωt) + 2cos(ωt)

how does this prove the frequency being the same? (even though I know it is the same)

Last edited:
That's right, but how does that relate to the fact that ##a \sin \omega t + b \cos \omega t = R \sin(\omega t+\alpha)##?

I'm not sure exactly what your instructor is looking for regarding the frequency. As you stated the problem, it's already assumed the frequencies are equal.

1. What is the addition formula for sine and cosine?

The addition formula for sine and cosine states that the sum of two angles, α and β, can be expressed as the sine or cosine of the sum of those angles. This can be written as sin(α + β) = sin α cos β + cos α sin β and cos(α + β) = cos α cos β - sin α sin β.

2. How is the addition formula derived?

The addition formula for sine and cosine can be derived using the trigonometric identities and the laws of cosine and sine. By substituting the definitions of sine and cosine in terms of the unit circle, the formula can be simplified and proven.

3. What are the practical applications of the addition formula for sine and cosine?

The addition formula for sine and cosine is widely used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems involving oscillatory motion, sound waves, and electromagnetic waves. It is also used in navigation, astronomy, and signal processing.

4. Can the addition formula be extended to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the addition formula can be extended to other trigonometric functions, such as tangent and cotangent, by using their definitions in terms of sine and cosine. This results in the addition formulas tan(α + β) = (tan α + tan β) / (1 - tan α tan β) and cot(α + β) = (cot α cot β - 1) / (cot α + cot β).

5. Is it possible to use the addition formula to find the sine and cosine of a sum of multiple angles?

Yes, the addition formula for sine and cosine can be extended to find the sine and cosine of a sum of multiple angles by repeatedly applying the formula. This is known as the multiple angle formula and is used in various mathematical and scientific calculations.