Unlocking the Mystery of Rotational Movement in Marbles and Galaxies

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravitational forces and their effects on objects in containers. It is suggested that the rotation of galaxies may be caused by similar forces as seen in the movement of marbles in water. However, the strength of these forces and the presence of other factors, such as the Earth's gravitational field, can affect the formation of patterns in objects.
Spin_Network
I have a container of Marbles, if I place a rod in the centre, and proceed to stir clockwise, the marbles do not form any collective pattern, they just collide and move away in all directions.

Now if I place the Marbles into a container of Water, and perform the above, there are moments when the marbles form a pattern such as this:http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/1999/25/

If I just remove the stirrer, I can still get the same pattern, or as good as, by rotating the whole bowl?

Is the Galaxy being 'stirred' or rotated by a far off effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to be a far different effect that keeps the stars in a pattern, that is, the Gravitational Forces. On the other hand there is negligible gravitation among the marbles and what keeps them rotating in a pattern is the water currents that result from steering.

Spin_Network said:
I have a container of Marbles, if I place a rod in the centre, and proceed to stir clockwise, the marbles do not form any collective pattern, they just collide and move away in all directions.

Now if I place the Marbles into a container of Water, and perform the above, there are moments when the marbles form a pattern such as this:http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/1999/25/

If I just remove the stirrer, I can still get the same pattern, or as good as, by rotating the whole bowl?

Is the Galaxy being 'stirred' or rotated by a far off effect?

If you could remove the effect of the Earth's gravitational field from your marbles (ie., some weightless environment), then the marble's gravitational attraction to each other would become the dominant force. Of course, since this force is very weak, stirring the marbles would probably just send them flying. Giving each marble a tiny random velocity and random position should result in some approximation of a galaxy over a long period of time, and given enough marbles.

1. How does rotational movement occur in marbles and galaxies?

Rotational movement occurs in marbles and galaxies due to the conservation of angular momentum. This means that an object will continue to spin at a constant rate unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What factors affect the rotational movement of marbles and galaxies?

The rotational movement of marbles and galaxies can be affected by a variety of factors, such as mass, shape, and external forces. In marbles, the smoothness of the surface and the amount of friction also play a role in the rotational movement.

3. How is rotational movement measured in marbles and galaxies?

Rotational movement is measured using the concept of angular velocity, which is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis. This can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement by the time interval.

4. Can the rotational movement of marbles and galaxies be predicted?

Yes, the rotational movement of marbles and galaxies can be predicted using mathematical equations such as Newton's Law of Rotation and Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion. These equations take into account the factors that affect rotational movement.

5. How does understanding rotational movement in marbles and galaxies contribute to scientific research?

Understanding rotational movement in marbles and galaxies is crucial in various fields of science, such as astrophysics and material science. It helps us better understand the behavior of objects in motion and how they interact with their environment, leading to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.