A plane flies 457 km east from city A to city B

• Thread starter goaliejoe35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the problem involves a plane traveling from city A to city B for 457 km in 41.0 min, then from city B to city C for 949 km in 1.30 h. The magnitude of the plane's displacement is 1053.3 km and its direction is -64.29 degrees. The magnitude of its average velocity is 530.9 km/h and its direction is also -64.29 degrees. The average speed of the plane is 709 km/h.
goaliejoe35

Homework Statement

A plane flies 457 km east from city A to city B in 41.0 min and then 949 km south from city B to city C in 1.30 h. For the total trip, what are the (a) magnitude (in km) and (b) direction of the plane's displacement, the (c) magnitude (in km/h) and (d) direction of its average velocity, and (e) its average speed (in km/h)? Give your angles as positive or negative values of magnitude less than 180 degrees, measured from the +x direction (east).

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A

457cos(0) + 949sin(270)

= 457i + -949j
lRl=sqrt[(457)^2+(-949)^2]
R=1053.3 km

Part B

arctan(-949/457) = -64.29 degrees

I am not sure if either of those are correct and as for the rest of the problem I need help on how to solve for those things.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind everyone I finally got it

(c) Average velocity = Total displacement/total time
= 1053 km/(41+78)/60 = 530.9 km/h
(d) Direction is the direction of displacement; - 64.3 degrees

(e) Average speed = total distance/total time
= (457 + 949) km/1.9833 h = 709 km/h

You have the distance traveled and the time for each direction can't you calculate the velocity of each vector?

yea I got it now thanks for your help

1. How long does it take for the plane to fly from city A to city B?

The time it takes for a plane to fly from city A to city B depends on several factors, including the speed of the plane, the wind conditions, and the distance between the two cities. Without this information, it is difficult to determine the exact time it would take for the plane to fly 457 km east.

2. What is the distance between city A and city B?

The distance between city A and city B is 457 km. This is the distance that the plane would fly east from city A to city B.

3. How fast does the plane need to fly to cover 457 km in one hour?

In order for the plane to cover 457 km in one hour, it would need to fly at a speed of 457 km/hour. However, this speed may vary depending on wind conditions and other factors.

4. What is the direction of the plane's flight from city A to city B?

The plane is flying east from city A to city B. This means that the plane is traveling towards the east, or in a direction that is 90 degrees clockwise from north.

5. How does the rotation of the Earth affect the plane's flight from city A to city B?

The rotation of the Earth does not significantly affect the plane's flight from city A to city B. The plane's speed and direction are determined by its engines and the pilot, and the Earth's rotation does not have a major impact on these factors for short flights like this one.