Can ABAQUS accurately predict fatigue life using crack propagation?

In summary, the conversation is about using ABAQUS for predicting fatigue life in a project. The program has the ability to simulate crack propagation and offers different methods for driving it, such as Paris' law. Non-predefined crack paths can also be achieved through cohesive zone modeling. ABAQUS is considered to be a reliable software with comparable abilities to similar programs.
shawn87411
I am curious if anyone here is familiar with ABAQUS and using it for crack propagation. I am doing a project on fatigue life and need to use a computer program (ABAQUS is our FEA) to predict fatigue life under specific loading conditions. I am planning to use crack propagation to do this and am wondering if ABAQUS has the ability to do this? I have never used the program so I guess I am curious what exactly can I get out of it if I have a CAD file to import and can specify the loading conditions. Thanks for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It can with some limitations, the foremost being that using the "basic" methods (nodal release types) you need to pre-define the crack path and then you can use different criteria to drive the crack propagation during the analysis. Paris' law is one of them which might be of use. Some of the simpler techniques only work in 2D but the Paris law based on utilizing a VCCT (virtual crack closure technique) approach works in 3D as well.

Non - predefined crack paths can be accomplished by use of cohesive zone modeling (not meant for fatigue analyses in principle but can be tailored) where interface cohesive zone elements can be used to tear open new surface in a 3D space. Out of the non-research-like-software Abaqus performs fairly well, it's abilities are comparable to other similar software and in some cases (the typical comment about nonlinear performance here for example) exceed them.

What is ABAQUS?

ABAQUS is a finite element analysis software used for simulating and analyzing structural and mechanical systems. It is commonly used in various engineering fields such as aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering.

What is Fracture Mechanics?

Fracture Mechanics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior and propagation of cracks and fractures in materials. It helps in understanding the causes and mechanisms of failure in structures, and in predicting the failure of materials under different loading conditions.

How does ABAQUS incorporate Fracture Mechanics?

ABAQUS has a built-in capability for simulating fracture and crack propagation in materials. It uses advanced numerical methods and algorithms to accurately predict the behavior of cracks and their effects on the overall structure.

What types of fracture models are available in ABAQUS?

ABAQUS offers various fracture models, including linear elastic fracture mechanics (LEFM), cohesive zone models (CZM), extended finite element method (XFEM), and virtual crack closure technique (VCCT). Each model has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of problems.

How accurate are the fracture predictions in ABAQUS?

The accuracy of fracture predictions in ABAQUS depends on various factors such as the chosen fracture model, mesh density, and material properties. In general, ABAQUS has been extensively validated and is considered a reliable tool for fracture analysis in engineering applications.