Finding a good explination of the physics of rollercoasters

• Thread starter piareround
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of examples in a friend's book regarding the rollercoaster loop problem and the differences between linear and rotational kinetic energy. The speaker asks for recommendations for websites that explain the changes in forces and kinetic energy as a roller coaster goes through a loop. Another person suggests using linear kinetic energy and conservation of energy methods when solving loop-the-loop roller coaster problems.
piareround
So I was helping my friend with some homework when I realized that his book didn't have any good examples of the rollercoaster loop problem about showing the differences between linear and rotational kinetic energy.

So I was wondering, does anyone know any good websitel, besides this one lol, that goes into detail about explaining how the forces change, rotational kinentic energy, and kinetic energy change as you go around the loop of a roller coaster?

Thanks a bunch,

piareround

Physics news on Phys.org
piareround said:
So I was helping my friend with some homework when I realized that his book didn't have any good examples of the rollercoaster loop problem about showing the differences between linear and rotational kinetic energy.

So I was wondering, does anyone know any good websitel, besides this one lol, that goes into detail about explaining how the forces change, rotational kinentic energy, and kinetic energy change as you go around the loop of a roller coaster?

Thanks a bunch,

piareround
I suppose why not google on "loop coasters"? Be careful though, when talking about 'rotational' and 'linear' kinetic energies. In loop-the-loop roller coaster problems, or other problems involving uniform or non uniform circular motion, it is easiest to work in linear kinetic energy, using tangential velocities along the circular path, and applying conservation of energy and centripetal force/acceleration methods.

1. What are the basic principles of physics involved in rollercoasters?

Rollercoasters involve the principles of potential and kinetic energy, as well as centripetal force and Newton's laws of motion. As the rollercoaster car gains height, it stores potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy as it moves down the track. The curves and loops of the track also require centripetal force to keep the car on the track, and the laws of motion dictate the acceleration and forces experienced by the riders.

2. How do rollercoasters manage to stay on the track?

Rollercoasters use a combination of gravity and centripetal force to stay on the track. The track is designed with carefully calculated curves and loops that keep the car moving along the track and prevent it from flying off due to centrifugal force. Additionally, the wheels on the car are designed to fit snugly on the track and provide enough friction to keep the car on the track.

3. What is the role of friction in rollercoasters?

Friction plays a crucial role in rollercoasters. Without enough friction, the car would not have enough grip on the track and could potentially fly off. However, too much friction can also slow down the car and reduce the thrill of the ride. Rollercoaster designers carefully consider the amount of friction needed to keep the car on the track while still providing an exciting and smooth ride.

4. How do rollercoasters achieve high speeds and steep drops?

Rollercoasters are designed to use the principles of potential and kinetic energy to achieve high speeds and steep drops. At the top of the first hill, the car has a large amount of potential energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy as the car races down the hill. The design of the track and the forces experienced by the riders also contribute to the speed and steepness of the ride.

5. Are there any safety measures in place to prevent accidents on rollercoasters?

Yes, there are multiple safety measures in place to prevent accidents on rollercoasters. The track and cars undergo regular inspections and maintenance to ensure they are in good working condition. Additionally, rollercoasters are equipped with safety features such as seat belts, lap bars, and shoulder harnesses to secure riders in their seats. Park employees also undergo training to operate the ride safely and handle any emergency situations that may arise.