Momentum + Friction force = me depressed

In summary, the conversation discusses two physics problems involving a bullet embedded in a block of wood after being fired. The first problem involves finding the initial speed of the bullet based on the distance the block travels and the coefficient of kinetic friction. The second problem involves determining the height the block will rise after being hit by the bullet. The solution involves using conservation of momentum and Newton's laws of motion.
dabouncerx24
Hey guys, I need help on some physics problems again.

A 15g bullet strikes and becomes embedded in a 1.10kg block of wood placed on a horizontal surface just in front of the gun. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is 0.25, and the impact drives the block a distance of 9.5m before it comes to rest, what was the muzzle speed of the bullet.

A gun is fired vertically into a 1.4kg block of wood at rest directly above it. If bullet has mass of 21g and speed of 310m/s, how high will the block rise into the air before the bullet becomes embedded in it?

Please give me hints on how to solve these two problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of momentum, then work the initial speed for the block.

Last edited:
Sorry, some people (like myself) aren't well equipped with physics skills and know right off the bat what " Use conservation of momentum, then work the final speed for the block." means totally.

Cyclo you've helped me out many times man, can u explain just a bit more. It is a new topic that was taught just yesterday in class. Thanks.

I have no idea how the friction force fits in there...

Well you should use your knowledge that change of momentum will be 0, thus it will be conserved.

[tex] m_{bullet}v_{bullet_{o}} + m_{box}v_{box_{o}}= (m_{bullet} + m_{box})v_{both}[/tex]

The box was at rest

[tex] m_{bullet}v_{bullet_{o}} = (m_{bullet} + m_{box})v_{both}[/tex]

Now you need to know the speed of the both, use the rest of the information, Newton's 2nd law and kinematic.

thx a lot man :)

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measurement of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is friction force?

Friction force is a type of force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces and the intermolecular forces between them.

How do momentum and friction force affect me?

Momentum and friction force can affect you in various ways depending on the situation. For example, if you are moving and encounter a friction force, it can slow you down and decrease your momentum. This can make you feel frustrated or depressed if you were expecting to maintain your speed.

Why does friction force sometimes make me feel depressed?

Friction force can make you feel depressed because it can hinder your progress or make tasks more difficult. For example, if you are trying to push a heavy object and encounter a lot of friction force, it can be physically and mentally draining and lead to feelings of frustration and depression.

How can I reduce the effects of friction force on my mood?

There are a few ways to reduce the effects of friction force on your mood. One way is to try to minimize the amount of friction force you encounter, such as by using lubricants or reducing the roughness of surfaces. Another way is to adjust your mindset and focus on the positive aspects of overcoming friction force, such as building strength or improving problem-solving skills.