A formula related to multiplicative order

• Thread starter praneeth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses a formula regarding sets and functions in GF(p). The formula states that the summation of elements in a set S’(A) is equal to the Mobius function of A plus half of Euler’s-Totient function of A multiplied by p. The conversation also mentions that this formula could be useful in cryptography. The second part of the conversation involves a discussion about the validity of the formula and potential journals to submit it to.
praneeth
I want to submit a paper on proof of this formula, so can some one please tell whether this already exists or not?

Let S’(A) be the set of elements in GF(p) such that S’(A) = {x/ O(x,p) = A}. Here A should be
the factor of (p-1) and A>2, where p is prime, then
∑x = μ(A) + ½* T(A)*p;
where the summation is over all the elements of set S’(A) and
O(x,p) : Order of x with respect to p, (by order it is meant to be multiplicative order).
μ(A) : Mobius function of A.
T(A) : Euler’s-Totient function of A.

Physics news on Phys.org
no replies which means I can write a paper on proof of this theorem. Is that it??

It means no one has looked at it, or thought about it, not that it is new or novel. Not that this is necessarily the correct place to even ask such a question.

The most obvious problem with what you wrote is that it does not and cannot make sense. You have an equality. The LHS is a sum of elements in a finite field, the right hand side is an integer.

1) If you look at it as a mathematical expression, is that correct?? addition of elements taken from a finite field in the integer domain (changing the domain).
(or)
2) (∑x - μ(A))mod p = 0
is that correct? I just want to know if it has got any significance?

Last edited:
You cannot arbitrarily coerce elements from GF(p) into Z, as you did. There is no canonical choice - should I pick -1 or p-1, for instance?

You can of course, take an integer like u(A), and reduce it mod p, if you wish.

Of course, since you're in GF(p), the multiplicative group is cyclic, so one has a nice description of what the elements are with a given order, and how many of them there are etc. Try Le Veque for more information.

Mr. Grime, So, the 1st equation is wrong. I don't know "Le Veque". If its new what should I do with it. Can you suggest anyone journal to write to about this? because every journal I saw won't accept new proofs to theorems as its articles.

Also I want to mention that
{∑(x^r)-μ(A)} mod p=0; for any r co-prime to A. This result might be useful in cryptography.

Last edited:

1. What is the multiplicative order of a number?

The multiplicative order of a number is the smallest positive integer m such that am ≡ 1 (mod n), where a is the given number and n is the modulus.

2. Why is the multiplicative order important?

The multiplicative order is important in number theory and cryptography, as it is used in various algorithms and calculations. It also has applications in other fields such as physics and chemistry.

3. How is the multiplicative order different from the order of a group element?

The multiplicative order is specific to a number and modulus, while the order of a group element is specific to a group. Additionally, the multiplicative order is defined in terms of congruence (modular arithmetic), while the order of a group element is defined in terms of group operations.

4. Can the multiplicative order be larger than the modulus?

No, the multiplicative order must be smaller than the modulus. This is because if am ≡ 1 (mod n), then am+k ≡ 1 (mod n) for any positive integer k. Therefore, the multiplicative order cannot be larger than the smallest positive integer that satisfies the congruence.

5. How is the multiplicative order related to the Euler totient function?

The multiplicative order and the Euler totient function are related through Euler's theorem, which states that aφ(n) ≡ 1 (mod n) for any positive integer a that is relatively prime to n. Therefore, the multiplicative order of a must be a divisor of φ(n).