Prove (n^5 - n) is divisible by 5 by induction

• Thread starter Fizza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary: That would be n^4-1, n+1, n^2+1, and n+2, respectively.)In summary, the statement "P(n) = n^5 - n" is true for n=5. The statement is also true for n=1, 2, 3, and 4.
Fizza
here's what I've done so far...

P(n) = n^5 - n
n(n-1)(n^3+n+1)
when n = 5
5 * 4* 131 = 620
620 is a factor of 5. therefore true for n=5

assume true n=k
P(k) = k^5 - k

when n = k+1

P(k+1) = (k+1)(k+1-1)((k+1)^3 + k+2)
= (k+1)(k)(k^3 + 3k^2 + 3k + 1 + k + 2)
= (k+1)(k)(k^3 + 3k^2 + 4k + 3)
= (k^2+k)(k^3 + 3k^2 + 4k + 3)
= k^5 + 4k^4 + 7k^3 + 7k^2 + 3k

what shall I do from there?

thanks xxx

Physics news on Phys.org
(n+1)^5=n^5+5n^4+10n^3+10n^2+5n+1
Therefore (n+1)^5-(n+1)=n^5-n+K, where K is divisible by 5.

Fizza, why do you start with n= 5 as base case? The statement is also true for n= 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Also you did not use the fact that you are assuming k5- k is a multiple of 5. Follow mathman's suggestion.

I'm trying to figure out how the problem was built in the first place.

I'd imagine a similar statement is true for any prime power, since the 'prime rows' of the Pascal triangle are divisible by that prime (except for the ending 1's).

So you are asking, "Is it true that np- n is divisible by p for p any prime?"

Yes, it is and for exactly the reason you state: if p is prime then [itex]\left(\begin{array}{c}p \\ i\end{array}\right)[/itex] for p prime and 0< i< p is divisible by p. That itself can be proven directly from the definition:
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}p \\ i\end{array}\right)= \frac{p!}{i!(p-i)!}[/tex]
as long as i is neither 0 nor p, 0<p-i< p and so neither i! nor (p- i)! have a factor of p. Since p! does, the binomial coefficient is divisible by p. (We need p to be prime so that other factors in i! and (p- i)! do not "combine" to cancel p.)

Now, to show that np- n is divisible by p, do exactly what mathman suggested.

First, when n= 1, 1p- 1= 0 which is divisible by p. Now assume the statement is true for some k: kp- k= mp for some integer m. Then, by the binomial theorem,
[tex](k+1)^p= \sum_{i=0}^p \left(\begin{array}{c}p \\ i\end{array}\right) k^i[/itex]
subtracting k+1 from that does two things: first it cancels the i=0 term which is 1. Also we can combine the "k" with the i= p term which is kp so we have kp- k= mp. The other terms, all with 0< i< p, contain, as above, factors of p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello hall of Ivy

What would be the converse of this ^^^? Could you use "the assuming the opposite" method to prove whether or not this holds?

cheers

Fizza said:
here's what I've done so far...

P(n) = n^5 - n
n(n-1)(n^3+n+1)
when n = 5
5 * 4* 131 = 620
620 is a factor of 5. therefore true for n=5

Not to be too picky but your example shows n = 5 yields 620. It should be 2620, but of course satisfies the condition.

Secondly and more importantly I don't think the factors of n^5 - n are simplified enough.

I would note that:
n^5 - n = n(n^4-1) = n*(n^2-1)*(n^2+1) = (n-1)*n*(n+1)*(n^2+1)

Perhaps you can exploit the fact that for any n you necessarily have the number above and below that number that must be a factor of the result?

What is the concept of induction in mathematics?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove that a statement holds for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for a base case (usually n = 1) and then showing that if the statement is true for any given number, it is also true for the next number.

How does induction prove that (n^5 - n) is divisible by 5?

In this particular case, we use mathematical induction to prove that the statement is true for all natural numbers. We first show that (1^5 - 1) is divisible by 5. Then, we assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary natural number k, and use this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next number (k+1). This creates a chain that proves the statement is true for all natural numbers.

Why is it important to prove that (n^5 - n) is divisible by 5?

Proving that (n^5 - n) is divisible by 5 is important as it is a fundamental concept in number theory. It helps us understand the properties of natural numbers and their relationships with each other. Additionally, this proof can be extended to other similar problems, making it a useful tool in mathematical problem-solving.

Are there other ways to prove that (n^5 - n) is divisible by 5?

Yes, there are other ways to prove this statement. One way is to use the Binomial Theorem, which states that (a + b)^n = nC0 * a^n + nC1 * a^(n-1)b + ... + nCn * b^n. By substituting a = n and b = -1, we can see that (n^5 - n) is divisible by 5. Another way is to use modular arithmetic, where we can show that (n^5 - n) is congruent to 0 (mod 5) for all natural numbers n.

What other statements can be proven using the concept of induction?

Many mathematical statements can be proven using induction, including but not limited to, properties of natural numbers (such as divisibility, prime numbers, and factorial), properties of polynomials, and theorems in geometry and calculus. It is a powerful proof technique that can be applied to a wide range of mathematical problems.